How Many More Is It Gonna Take????????????????

Yet ANOTHER child failed by the system. Zahra Baker's abuse was reported to DSS and they left her in the home to die. It happens all the time. Children are dying every day that have open cases with DSS yet were left in the home. Some were returned by DSS even after their (ACK!) parents served time in jail for serious documented abuse.

WHY, does the ASPCA and Humane Society have more pull and power in this country than DSS? If you abuse your dog, they will come lock you up and take the dog away forever, no second chances. But our Nation's Children have no such protection.

Every day I see commercials for abused animals, asking for funds to help their cause. Yet I have never seen just ONE commercial about the abused children that are dying by the thousands ( and YES, more than a thousand children die from abuse every year). Do we really value animals more than babies?? Are human children any less helpless than a dog or cat??

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Can't answer. I'll give ya a bump.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• WHY, does the ASPCA and Humane Society have more pull and power in this country than DSS?

They don't. Buy taking someone's pet and taking someone's child are way different. If someone falsly accused you , and they just TOOK your kids and put them in foster care....that would be AWFUL!

All of the children services I know of are understaffed and over worked and many do not care. Many just fall right through the cracks. In my sisters job, she deals with them daily...she has BEGGED them at times to come and get drug abusers kids..sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yet I have never seen just ONE commercial about the abused children that are dying by the thousands ( and YES, more than a thousand children die from abuse every year). Do we really value animals more than babies?? Are human children any less helpless than a dog or cat??

IMO~this is what happens when you tell people you are taxing them to 'solve a problem"... They stop caring as much/ working hard to end a horrible problem~ because too many think-that is what their "tax dollars" are for.... People should give because THEY care... Not because they are mandated to.. Government programs take away from the seriousness of additional help needed to address the problem. Especially when they don't have the efficiency/resources/manpower to truly deal with the issues... jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I was put in a foster home in the early 80's all they cared about was putting the family back together which in some cases is a good thing but in sex abuse it is not nor do i think people who beat thier childreb should get a second chance. Women are not asked to live with thier rapist, and assault victims are not asked to live with thiers. Why are children asked to?
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I just bumped this! I dont understand and I dont understand how some of the family and neighbors could say that expected something like that to happen and witnessed some of the abuse and stated that they wish they called child services. People like that disgust me!
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 2:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• ""All of the children services I know of are understaffed and over worked""

EXACTLY Sweet-a-kins!!

This is what my point was with this question. Where are the private organizations to raise money to help. Like the ASPCA and the Humane Society are doing for animals? GrlyGrls has a point when she says people expect our tax dollars to take care of it, yet our tax dollars fund animal control offices in every town too.

If there were commercials on TV asking me to send $ to save abused children I would do it quickly and gladly!!
    Sharon7772

Comment by Sharon7772 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Peace13,

I feel the exact same way. When I read stories about a child, less than a year old, who was suffering from boken bones, burns, bite marks, and bruises all over his body. Then the state gave that child back to his mother when she got out of jail, and within months the child was dead with evidence of even more horrific torture and abuse all over his little body, It makes me physically ill.

Yet, the DSS has this twisted policy that they should "keep the family together". NO! NO! NO!! The only thing they are trying to do is save money by not having to be financially responsible for that child's ongoing care.
    Sharon7772

Comment by Sharon7772 (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm sorry, I don't know, but now I need to go snuggle my little babies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yet I have never seen just ONE commercial about the abused children that are dying by the thousands

I have..

My sister works for a family shelter that is partially gov't funded and partially private donations

There are orgs put there....but the laws that are in place to protect abuse of the system just TAKING kids for no reason will sometimes protect the guilty....

In most cases its also a LAW ENFORCEMENT issue

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think it would be reasonable to test every parent who is accused for drugs, do a complete background test for criminal activity/convictions, and to permanently remove any child who has a druggie for a parent ~ rather than clutter up the system and keep giving parents 'one more chance' to harm or kill their children. The same goes for any child that requires medical care even once from parents who hurt them.

I ALSO think it should be a mandatory requirement that every caseworker BE a parent. Books don't teach a person squat about parenting, abuse, or the difference between a bad day and a continuous pattern ...

The system is so broken though that maybe it would be best to scrap the entire thing and start over ~ and stop making children pay for adult problems and stupidity.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010