Is this a form of Dislexia?

My daughter has a problem with saying things wrong. For example: Mommy im thirsty with lunch, meaning im hungry.also im hot when she is actually cold.There are several others that i have forgotten but I think its weird and i have never heard of a child doing that...any thoughts or similar experiences?

Heatherlee88

Asked by Heatherlee88 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think so - my daughter will occasinally say she is hot when she really means cold and things like that. But if you are really worried about then document it when and what she says and talk to her doctor about it.
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 2:11 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yeah, maybe document it for a bit. Is she 3 or 4? I worked in a school for 8 years with kids who had all sorts of developmental hangups. It's not sending up red flags for me necessarily.

If she is 3 and doesn't start saying the right things by 4, I'd see a developmental specialist. If she's 4 I'd mayble look into it now. It's not like she's making no sense at all. "Being thirsty with lunch" could make total sense to her because she really understands thirst and feels like it's the same feeling when she wants to eat.

Just make sure to let her know the correct phrases when she says it wrong. Don't correct her by saying "No, you mean you're hungry!" Say...." Oh are you hungry?? What are you hungry for?" And after she's done eating, ask her if she's "hungry still". Also continue by making sure in the same way that she understands thirsty is for drinks. Maybe she'll make the connection more.

Good luck.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Both of my kids did that, and they're not dyslexic. If you're worried, keep track of it and talk to her doctor.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:41 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• HUN SHE IS STILL LEARNING TO HOW TO TALK CORRECTLY. DON'T THINK ANYTHING OF IT. IT'S TOO SOON TO BE ABLE TO TELL IF SHE IS DYSLEXIA. I DIDN'T FIND OUT UNTIL I WAS 16 YEARS OLD THAT I WAS DYSLEXIA. AND SHE IS JUST A PRESCHOOLER. CUT HER SOME SLACK YOU CAN'T EXPECT PERFECTION RIGHT AWAY ESPECIALLY FROM A PRESCHOOLER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Uh, no. Dyslexia is a problem with reading words, not speaking. Even the word for having issues reading numbers is completely different (dyscalculia). So no, its not a form of dyslexia.
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 10:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My boys say, "I want to go upside" When they want to go out. They say they are hungry when they are thirsty. I like when they say they want to go outstairs, when that means they want to go upstairs. They don't get 'on' vs. 'off'. So I make a game of turning on and off the light, saying things over and over. They are getting it. I think they are just a little confused. It'll pass.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I actually went through this with my son and his doc told me that they do not worry about this so much until they are like 8-9. So you go figure why it took so long to figure out that he had asd. He still does this at 7. I guess we do have to give them a chance to mature and realize what it is they really are saying though. I understand that part. Also, as a mother, you can kind of tell if something is just off key. Good luck in figuring out what it is she really wants. LOL.
    taysmom4

Answer by taysmom4 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008