Moving and getting a job

I am not sure how to go about this... my husband and I are moving. We can not just up and move and hope we get a job there. I need to find businesses in and around the area that I am moving and I also need to find a job with decent pay (minimum wage is not going to pay the bills). The problem is that it is a small area so nothing shows up on online job searches. I did online searches for local businesses to find out the pay but not too many places seem to want to tell you pay until after the interviews. I can not afford to waste time either. We have one year and can not move until my husband's current employment contract has ended. Anyone who has ever moved knows that a year is not very long when it comes to finances. Is there anywhere that I can find information regarding pay and business listings or maybe even positions at a certain company?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Why would you chose to move to an area before you have secured a job, especially with the current job market and economy?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• With it being a small town, have you looked online at their local paper website? That helped us when we were looking for a house in Pennsylvania from Texas.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree with twinsplus2more... Is there a specific reason your moving to a new area?
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 2:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It is smart to secure a job before you move to an area. Rsearch surrounding towns in the area that you are seeking and see if there is any better of a prospect there. Don't hesitate to look into a job that is hiring or that you might qualify for. Even if there is a bit of a traveling distance. Don't look down at a job due to them not offering you enough pay either. You and your husband can get a job if need be, which may mean both of you working low paying jobs. In this economy and this market beggers cannot be choosers, so you may have to take whatever you can get. Apply for jobs that you qualify for and also jobs that you can be trained to do. Enhancing your chance, even just by a small margine, of finding something.

Again, look for jobs in cities outside of the one you're planning to move to. Even if that means there might be a bit of a commute. Research the towns surrounding by going to their official websites. (contin
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We always found a job in a area then moved their. Not decided to move to a location then find a job. Doing it that way is kinda back words to me. Can one of you go to the city you plan to move to and look for a job?

Why don't you stay where you are?

Answer by louise2 at 2:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• (Continue) By going to their local official website you can find what is available as far as jobs in that area. As well as maybe even apply for a county or state job. Then if the local business doesn't have a website, you can either mail or email them a resume' to show your interest. With a letter describing your situation (Briefly) and a cover letter giving them an idea of what you're looking for and need from a company. Again, beggers cannot be choosers in this economy. You have to take what you can get, because jobs/careers these days are having just as hard of a time (if not worse) then the local residents. If you have the ability to travel to that area for a couple of days, set up meetings to talk with managers in potential jobs. Or give them a call and let them know you're interested.

There are many ways outside of job search engines to find a job. Knowing this may increase your chances.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If it's not showing up on online job searches then maybe there aren't any job openings there. What is the nearest medium-large city? Do a job search for that area and then expand your search for the metropolitian area. Most job boards let you search a 50 mile radius.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 14, 2010