check in hand correct when fired or layed off?...

my man called the labor board and they said yes....he got one check on wednesday then on the following week on tuesday they let him go....no check.......he didnt get his check for a week so they said they are to pay every day until he gets his check so we are due 640 bucks.....hes at court today and i hope he wins....what do you think are chances of winning are ?

mama2my2boys

Asked by mama2my2boys at 2:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• I've never heard of that, sorry.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Not enough information.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• basicly he got fired.....and they didnt give him his final check till a week later when its check in hand when you get fired....we called the labor board and they said yes its supposed to be check in hand and told us we have a case......they are to pay us for every day that he didnt recieve his last check
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• When I got laid off, I still had to wait until the next pay date to get my check, same as if I had worked...that seems reasonable to me. If he gets paid weekly, and he didn't get his check the week he was let go for the previous week he'd worked, then you have cause for complaint. But if he gets paid every two weeks (or bi-monthly), and he got a check the week before he was let go, then it stands to reason that he would get his next check for the last week and a day (or two days if he's to get paid for the day he got fired) the week after he got fired.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If that is what it states in his union contract, then yes he has a case. Here you will be paid for all days worked on the next pay date after your date of termination, i.e. you are terminated on the 10th, but the next pay date is not until the 15th, you will not recieve your last check until 15th. But we are not a union shop, thank goodness :)

mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 2:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have never heard of "check in hand the day you get fired" I have been a manager for yrs and never have i heard of anything like this.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• he got paid weekly he got paid on wednesday and worked thur fri sat mon and tue and they let him go on tuesday and didnt get paid till the following tuesday one day before pay day.....and they told us they would mail it and then called us to come pick it up....they basicly said it was a mistake on the payroll dept and the lady said she was gunna mail it out that day and didnt
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• he wasnt union but when you get fired here in cali its check in hand
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Where is "here"?
    mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 2:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• read it again i put where........here in cali
    mama2my2boys

Comment by mama2my2boys (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010