How do I get my 2 3/4 yo to Practice Quiet Time???

He generally naps but there are days that he spends the time doing acrobats and running in his room!! He looses his sticker from his behavior chart and does not earn his afternoon cartoons. None of which phase him. I have tried talking to him about reading quietly but he won't...HELP!!

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Would soothing music make a difference maybe? What about a video that he can watch? My DIL allows videos like animal babies and that sort of thing.......nothing with much action or fast music. Just ideas..............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If he will not nap. Make/Force him sit down some where quietly. That means, even if you have to sit their with him. Make him sit their.

Answer by louise2 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• he does have baby einstein music on for nap time..but maybe a soothing video as much as I hate the tv...
    coolchic320

Comment by coolchic320 (original poster) at 2:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yeah, my DIL and son do not allow TV at all but they have a nice selection of educational, calm, videos...........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• When we discovered my (now 3yo) spent a lot more time playing in her room than napping, we started allowing her, when napping was obviously not going to happen, to bring a pillow and blanket to the living room and watch TV with us--as long as she stayed laying down. If she doesn't lay down, back to her room she goes, and i check on her every few minutes. Every toy I see in her hand goes out of the room and she gets put back in bed sternly. Once we've made it to that point, I've chosen my battle and that child is staying in there all day if that's what it takes to get a nap. I don't usually take it that far--I do have a life, you know. :) If I have the time, though...my key is that if I don't get her to mind me now, how in the world can I expect to make a positive influence in her life later?
    mommaserene

Answer by mommaserene at 3:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• omg I am going throught exact same thing! I am so glad I am not alone. Good advice ladies. I was wondering what to do too.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 6:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2010