How do you remove calcium,rust,and hardwater from a toilet bowl?

I've tried everything nothing is working...people have not lived in this house that I recently rented for a while so you know them brown gucky lines for idk what it really is but it looks like rust and hard water...I let toilet bowl cleaner soak all day long and it still is there and it's gross what can be used? clr don't work

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 2:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Maybe try this stuff called CLR (it stands for Calcium, Limestone, Rust) or Limeaway? Those might help.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I like soft scrub. And I do it by hand with gloves if I have to.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• For calcium grime and rush limeaway is a must lol...sorry that just poped in my head lol
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Try bleach. You have to fill the toilet higher than the line, then pour bleach in. What I have been doing is using a pumice stone to get off the lines. I had read that it won't scratch, and I don't think that it is.

Answer by Bmat at 2:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I just said I tried CLR it don't work neither does limeaway
    chica679

Comment by chica679 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• pumice stone-
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I used a pumice stone in mine and scratched the hell out of my toliet. I use baking soda & vinegar and then get in there & scrub
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 4:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• CLR+ Limeaway- let it sit and then scrub. I also installed those "push-up" gel tabs onto the bowl-this has worked for me.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Turn the water to the toilet off& flush a couple times to drain the water from the bowl. Then use your toilet bowl cleaner. I like The Works from the Dollar Tree. Let it sit for awhile. It should "eat" the stains off.

I moved into an apt that had rust & lime buildup in the sink & tub. The toilet cleaner removed it.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:44 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had the same problem in the rental I'm at. We have iron in the water. Thought I'd never get the rust out. I tried it all. CLR, Soft scrub, bleach, Limeaway, whatever. Even shut the water off and drained the toilet and let bleach sit in it. Grrrr. Then on a whim I bought lysol power with lime and rust remover toilet bowl cleaner. and holy sh*t! It worked. Just like that. Try it. Who knows.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 6:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010