School Field Trips! What would you do?

I'm a SAHM, I have 2 boys. One 5 and in Kindergarten and the other 10 months. My 5 year old is having a field trip to the zoo, I always go to his school things, and he really wants me to go. But we get a letter saying no other siblings are allowed to come. Usually wouldn't be a big deal, but ALL my family will be gone the week of my sons field trip on a cruise. I asked the Principle and he said no. Do you think this is fair?

jasesmommy0529

Asked by jasesmommy0529 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is too bad, but there is probably an insurance issue. Also, if they allow one sibling, then there would be another parent with a similar problem who would want to bring their's. What I did was to drive myself and my younger son and met up with the school group at the destination.

Answer by Bmat at 2:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, I do. We have the same policy in our district. Unless you find someone to sit for your other child, you might just have to miss out on this field trip.
    Anonymous

• Well you can't go to this one, your son will get over it. Most of the other moms won't be there. Tell him you'll go to the next one. There probably isn't room on the bus for extra kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well, I think the reason they say this is because they can't have you chaperoning other kids while bringing the little ones along. They also of course can't ride on the bus. What I do is just drive separately and show up along side them at the zoo. They can't keep you from going to the zoo!!!!

cullensforever

Answer by cullensforever at 2:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have to miss many functions because of LO's at home. I don't think it's fair. My oldest was in kindergarten they welcomed the extra siblings. Not anymore.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm not sure why you think it's UNFAIR. It's a school trip, not a family outing. While I understand that you want to go, most schools in my area would not allow siblings either.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• No fair at all!

Answer by older at 2:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• sure, because on most field trips you are responsible for a few other children as well, and you can't keep an eye on them if you are watching more than one of your own
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If that is the school policy then YES- the principle is being Fair- i would just drive to the Zoo & meet your son there-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 3:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am sure I would be sad if I didn't get to go with my son to the zoo. However, you have to stop to think about the schools position. If they say no other siblings but allow you to bring your other child, it could really upset a lot of parents.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 3:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010