Chickens

Does any one have pet chickens and live in the city?

We live inside the city limits in an older neighborhood. We built the coop and run out of reclaimed lumber that my DH got for free. It was great building the coop together as a family. We have two hens (production red & barred rock) and one rooster (black silkie) that are 4 1/2 months old, and two hens (black silkie & americauna) that are 3 1/2 months old. The older two hens have been acting differently lately and acting like they might be ready to lay eggs soon!! We have really enjoyed watching them grow and having them run around the backyard. They are much more friendlier than I thought they would be.

akmccarty

Asked by akmccarty at 2:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Pets

• LOL..my son had one from chick to adult. Then, we sent it to my uncles farm. His 1st grade class hatched them and each kid got to take one home.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• chickens are finicky. this is too early to lay eggs. Mostly around 8-9 months you will get eggs depending on the breed and the amount of daylight they get and warmth. winter tends to shut all of that egg laying down without heat and light sources in the coop. If you need any info pm me, but something tells me your neighbor will 1. not tolerate the noise 2. or the smell 3. or the rodents and snakes that show up that are attracted to chicken coops. many cities have ordinances that do not allow farm livestock, please look into this if you haven't. and good luck.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• oh, and depending on the size of your coop, chickens become cannibalistic when caged on daily basis for long periods of time.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We check with city ordinances before we built the coop or got the chickens. It is allowed where we live. All of our neighbors think it's neat and have asked for us to sell them eggs when the chickens start laying. There is no smell, snakes or rats as of yet. My DH cleans out the coop every three days. There are only five chickens and the coop and enclosed run is a good size. Plus we let them free range in our fenced in backyard, which is medium size, for about four hours every evening, if not longer. So far they all get along well and are healthy.
    akmccarty

Comment by akmccarty (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• There should be natural ways to ward of snakes. Look into that. I've heard of ways, just can't think of them right now. I want chickens, fancy ones. I think they are beautiful. I'd want them from chicks, so we can interact with them though. That's neat. And cool that your neighbors are cool with it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Jewjew, my hens (with or without a roo) will kill all but diamond backs. I found a 6 foot black snake half in/half out of the run one day ... missing his head and with most of his body shredded to boot. Mine will eat small rodents as well as any meat I give them.

amc ~ your only real problem, even if you don't let them out some each evening, may be the rooster. He isn't old enough 'yet', but in a few short weeks he will become a teenager. You'll know that has happened when he throws his head back and belts out a cockadoodlesomeoneischokingmetodeath sort of noice at ear splitting decibels lol. Literally he'll sound like someone is choking him ... but the neighbors may not find it amusing (and some may think you're abusing him). Just keep the food covered to discourage rodents and enjoy them otherwise. They are fun to watch, and will lay eggs without a roo if it becomes a problem.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• sounds great! enjoy them, they are so much fun to watch.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My rooster has been crowing for the past two months. He is a black silkie. He's also been showing interested in the two older hens the past two weeks. He chased down my barred rock and jumped on her back. My 7 yrs old son said " Mommy, Alejandro is attacking Peggy Sue!!!". The comb and waddles on the production red and barred rock hens are bright red recently. When I go to pick up the barred rock hen she spreads her legs and squats. I heard on a chicken forum that it could be a sign that they are getting ready to lay soon. Our neighbors think that the rooster's crowing is kind of cute. He's a bantam breed and not terribly loud. We had a game bird rooster that was very loud, so we found him a new home in the country. Most of the time Alejandro crows in the mornings only, occasionally he will during the day, but not as much as the game bird did.
    akmccarty

Comment by akmccarty (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I had a rooster when I was a kid. He got separated from his mom and siblings as a chick so I took him home. He loved to ride around on my foot for fun. His name was Prince Randy - no clue why...
    Anyways we gave him to the horse barn when he got bigger so he could have a full happy life with other chickens.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:35 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We got our first egg this evening!!!!!!! My husband has been checking the nesting boxes daily and he found an egg. We suspect that Peggy Sue, our barred rock hen, laid it.
    akmccarty

Comment by akmccarty (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010