Will my son ever sleep through the night?

My son is a little over two years and still does not sleep through the night. We recently converted his crib into a "BIG BOYS BED" Since then I lay down with him untill he falls asleep and he then wakes up 3 -4 times a night calling for me, or his bear, or a drink of water...anything to get me to come back in his room. My girlfiend told me to put a lock on the inside of his door and NOT to go in there in the middle of the night...I think that sounds mean. Any advice to get my little guy sleeping through the night would be great. Does anyone use music?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've been hearing a lot about locks on the outside of the door. I just can't imagine locking a child in his/her room. I've also heard about the T-shirts and it seems to work.  He needs to feel secure and comforted.  He might need a nightlight.  At bedtime,  have the same routine every night.  Read him a book, say his prayers with him (if that's part of your life), and tuck him in. Let him know you are there, but don't stay in the room. When he wakes up, and calls you, stand in the doorway, tell him you love him, and you're right down the hall ( or wherever). Then leave. It might take a few times a night for awhile, and it will take more than one night,  but it's worked for Moms I know.  I hope I explained it correctly. Good luck!

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 6:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Make sure he ate atleast an hour before bed time, and dont let him nap after 5. Once my baby is in his room asleep, we dont go in there if he wakes up. Once in a while he will sit up and whine but then he lays back down and goes to sleep.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• NO NAPS DURING THE DAY AND GIVE HIM ONE OF YOUR TSHIRTS OR YOUR HUSBANDS SO HE CAN SNUGLLE WITH AT NIGHT WORKED FOR MY DAUGHTER
    vira78

Answer by vira78 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i use music but i agree with ur friend
    crystaldinae

Answer by crystaldinae at 6:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010