Which one of these guys should I allow my daughter to date?

Guy #1: Wears black every day, listens to rock music, has long hair, has a long goatee, paints his nails, tattoo's and piercings.

Guy #2: Wears polo shirts or t-shirts and well fitting bottoms. wears name brand clothing, spikes his hair a little (it is about an inch or so long), listens to hip hop music, clean shaven and lives with his grandma and helps her out around the house, etc.

They are both only 1-2 years older than her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• wow...funny how almost everyone said #2 - though I am SO NOT surprised by that

Just on looks? I would definitely go with #1

the important thing is- who treats her best? who has plans for their future? who will let her be who she is and not want to change her and vice versa (sp?)
    if it were my daughter and she wanted me to help her pick-these are the things I would tell her to ask herself.
    and I would not pick for her!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:12 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would tell her that the decision has to be made by her. It is not your responsibility to choose who she dates. She has to decide what she wants and doesn't want in a potential mate. The only way she can do that is by picking incorrectly a few times and finally finding the man that she wants to be with. I'm not saying that she is looking to settle down now b/c she seems a little young for that but she will learn what she likes and dislikes and that is process that no one but her can figure out.
    coala

Answer by coala at 3:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• #1, the 2nd sounds too good to be true

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• what do you mean allow your daughter to date? she doesn't get to pick who she goes out with?
    either guy could be good or bad, there is no real way of knowing my what you are listing.
    if nothing else, look at it this way.
    it's only a matter of time before she moves out or goes to college, then she'll decide who she spends time with and you won't have to worry about it.
    if she's anything like me, then she may not even mention it to you at all.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think she needs to decide and if she doesn't feel strongly about either one why can she only date one of them? Why can't she go to a movie with one Friday and bowling with one on Saturday? If she doesn't like either one of them enough to know she wants to date them then why is she dating either in the first place? Because they want to date her? That is not a good enough reason. This is a good chance to teach her about knowing what she wants for herself and making her own decisions.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• What kind of person are they and how do they treat her? Its not their clothes or style that matters.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• which ever one you pick she is going to pick the other one.
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 3:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Whoever SHE chooses... You can't pick and choose who your kids are attracted to. WoW! Controlling much? If she's old enough to date, she's old enough to pick who to date!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Tell her to pick it herself.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• guy #2 sounds alright... guy #1 sounds kinda weird haha
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010