Pagans: What is the Role of the Gods and What is Their Relationship to Humans?

I think I don’t have a good grasp on the pagan gods, so can you please help me understand?

I keep trying to equate the nature of the Christian God w/ the nature of the pagan gods, but I think they have different personalities. For example, the Christian God is the Author of all life: He created us and the universe. All good comes from Him. He is also a personal God: He protects and blesses us, and permits us to have specific burdens which we can use as a tool for spiritual growth to become closer to Him. He grants us special graces, and He wants us to spend time with Him. The only time he is displeased with us is when we sever our relationship with Him through sin.

Can you help the understand the similarities and differences so I have a better grasp of paganism?

Thanks.

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 3:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think it depends on which God or Gods we are discussing. For me I believe in a limitless amount of Gods, each with their own role and personality. Overall the Gods are there to guide creation and existence of all things - not just humans. I believe the Christian God to be one in the crowd, so in my mine he is as much a "Pagan God" as he his a "Christian God." I think the major difference between how Christians see God and how Pagans see God is that Pagans tend not to equate God with Perfection. We/I tend to see the Gods are flawed, imperfect and emotional. Each having their own place in the scheme of things. It's hard to honestly explain the place of each in this little box, but as a whole they are there to guide rather than to rule or control.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I follow a native american path - there are not "gods" - God is one, God is All That Is, God is Mystery. God is the life force that moves in all things and is everywhere and present in all beings, the energy that connects us all and creates the circle of life. There are other spiritual beings... animals are here to teach us, the "grandmothers and grandfathers" are here to guide us, love us, protect us. The Earth is our home and mother and provides many ways for us to observe and learn truth. Pondering the wisdom available to us in trees alone could take lifetimes. Stones are recordkeepers and have a heartbeat/life of their own. The "Way" does not include judgement, good or bad, just things that Are...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I follow the basics of Wicca, but see the Goddess and the God as a balance in everything, a Mother & Father figure you might say...
    They are there when they are called upon for guidance... The Goddess to me is the Mother of ALL life around us...including the Earth
    that we walk on...
    For different ppl they may have different names for these God(s) and Goddess(es) but they all lead to the same two (balance)
    I do not believe that these God/esses are here to control, to punish, but to guide us into the direction to which we seek. They are
    not demanding Gods/esses. I believe they guided creation and are NOT perfect ... and they Love unconditionally ....
    I have felt the Goddesses guidance many times when in meditation... the peace and the Love and the deep soul/spirit connection
    after meditation...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It differs from god/dess to god/dess, and from person to person. For instance, NotPanicking, a Norse practitioner I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) worships/works with a specific pantheon who each serve a specific purpose in that particular religion. I am Eclectic. I work with god/desses from many different pantheons. I believe all gods are ONE GOD; all goddesses, ONE GODDESS. I believe the names and stories were created by humans because our tiny little human brains cannot even begin to comprehend who or what the God and Goddess are.

But to kinda answer your question, the roles of the God(s) and Goddess(es) in my life? They are my guides. They are Parental figures...yet I invoke the Goddess within me...and the God as her consort either in meditation/fantasy or within my husband. I work with the Goddess in my garden. They give me guidance, but no commandments. 100% Unconditional Love.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Id have to agree that its hard when everyone works with different ones,etc.

Personally, I see them as guides. They are there to give me strength and maybe help me see something I didnt see before as I strive to grow as a person. I am with MamaK88 that it boils down to one god and one goddess...a father and mother. They created and loved all and keep watch over it but dont interfere or give out commandmants and condemn us for messing up or not doing things just right. They love us and are there for strength and guidence but in the end leave life up to us.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am Hellenic Pagan, and follow the Greek Gods/Goddesses. Each one has their own "specialty", for lack of a better term.
    For instance, Hestia is Goddess of Hearth: preparing family meals, and home life, etc. I often pray to her during holidays when a big family meal is to be prepared. This ensures everything will go according to plan. During the meal, we set aside the biggest portions for her and give thanks.
    I honestly don't see any connection to the Christian God compared to my own. Instead of many Gods, there is only one in command of all things. (Christian God)
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This differs from pagan to pagan honestly. To me the gods are a life force that are in everything and everyone (similar to Gaia theory) with the neutrality of nature. The goddess and god are a part of my soul and everyone else in the world and connects us all. It is through deep meditation/ritual that I can get in touch with masculine and feminine divinity. I am also a firm believer that I personally can never understand the gods completely, it is only through death that I can understand the awesomeness and nirvana of the all.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 4:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am an eclectic Pagan and I will use whatever pantheon needed in any given situation. There are so many it is limitless. In our path  we each have differing POV's and none are considered wrong.  Some use only One God and One Goddess, some use an entire pantheon and others like myself follow all of them. 

When I meditate I feel at peace and yet energized, more of a oneness with all of life.  I can't decide if I am super energized or relaxed, it is a clear, calm, focused feeling and yes I do feel a deep connection to God and Goddess.  I agree with all the answers above and yet I have my own.  That's the beauty of our path.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• For instance, Hestia is Goddess of Hearth...During the meal, we set aside the biggest portions for her and give thanks.

^This is so sweet.  Thank you for sharing with me.

These are some very captivating answers.  Thank you for enlightening me.

flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 3:38 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'm not Pagan but I think that the gods and goddesses are here to guide and protect us and all things around us.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:29 PM on Oct. 18, 2010