Less pay, less responsibility, closer to home?

My husband currently makes $110K a year. In a 2 income household we paid almost $30K in payroll taxes because of the tax bracket we are in due to us both working. He currently drives 75 miles each way to work a day because of his job, but we feel it pays well enough to justify it. We are currently evaluating him taking a lower paying job at around $65K that is 20 miles from the house each way. We know his take home will be less but we will save on gas and taxes, and he will be less stressed out beacuse it will be less responsibility but I feel like he will be limiting his career by taking a step back.

I don't care about the money so much as I do him hurting his career by stepping back. Would you encourage your husband to do that? He's not unhappy in his job currently so moving wouldn't make him more happy, just less of a commute really for less pay? He's been doing his current job for a year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• If he is unhappy, I'd say maybe, but in this economy, we are lucky to have a job at all. His career may suffer for it, but need to look at the benefits he is getting now. I bet they wouldn't match up very well. AND, I wouldn't being changing health care at the moment, considering what's coming down the pipe.

Hard to say, but I'd look at the whole picture. Good luck!!!
    ShelbysHope

Answer by ShelbysHope at 5:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Absolutely NOT..The commute sucks, but the truth is he will be hard pressed to see that income again. if he isn't miserable I would say NO WAY...You're a two income household, that means your working as well...Is it possible for you to cut back to save on the tax bracket, or be self employed or something to that effect?
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• From what you're telling us, the only positive about the new job would be the location. He should stay at his current job unless location is more important to him than anything else.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:58 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I took a big step back, and quit my career of 10 years to reduce my stress, my comute to work, and so I could be a good mom and wife when at home instead of bringing my job home. I started house cleaning 3 days a week, and I'm sure was the laughing stock of the corporate execs that I was working with. I just didn't want to be a corporate America puppet anymore. Now, after my 2nd son- I still have the 'corporate' bug- so decided to take my skills and need to assist people and now work at home with an awesome company! This allows me to care and raise my 2 boys, while allowing me to contribute to the family income! I can now me an executive as well as a stay at home mom! Sometimes you have to make choices as to what is better for your family at this point. Money is not the most important thing!
    girlcar99

Answer by girlcar99 at 2:59 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I did this for a couple of years. It gave me the time and energy to launch my own business.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2010