Easy way to get started knitting (again)?

I used to knit when I was younger, but nothing exciting...scarves, potholders, etc. I really want to start again, but I honestly couldn't even remember how to start for the life of me! Can anyone recommend books/websites/advice for an easy way to learn?

Also, this may sound like a silly question, but what is the best way to steadily improve your knitting skills? Practicing the same pattern for a long time, or trying different ones? (Sorry if that seems like an idiotic question, I really have no idea. Haha!)

Any help appreciated, thanks!

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• It's christmas.... so knit someone a scarf :)

Use their favourite colour, and a really fluffy, warm yarn. No-one could resist such a yummy present.

ravelry.com is a great website for pattern idea's, and to locate groups. Groups are definitly the most fun way to learn. Youtube has some really, really good video's. There are many different people, who all teach a different way, so just search for wone who's instructions you can follow and get along with.

As for improving yourself.... go with the flow. Once you can do the basic knit and purl stitches.... you can do anything. But for the start, keep to the basics. Knit small things with shaping to slowly improve.
    Don't keep doing the same pattern, otherwise you will get bored of it.

Find a colour / yarn you WANT to work with. Pick it up and put it down whenever you feel like... and enjoy it :)
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thank you Piskie!! :) :)
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010