pain while urinating?

My 4yo just started complaining that it stings when she pees (her words). I'm thinking maybe a urinary tract infection.
Problem is we just moved here and don't have a doctor. I found one in our network but they are about 10 miles away and I don't have a car. My husband just left for work and is working doubles the next 2 days (driving him is not an option because we'd have to get all 5 kids up at 4am and then they'd have to stay up until 10pm to go get him).
So any things I can do to help her pain until we can get her to a doctor (probably Saturday at the earliest)?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 3:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• sounds like a UTI ive had 2 you can get them from holding your pee for too long take her to the ER they are very painful and could get worse and plus she is very young! they have theese orangish brownish small pills they give you and it turns your urine orange but takes away the burning sensation
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• find a way to get her to the Dr, sounds painful!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well, if I could get her to the doctor earlier I would. I don't have a car so I have no way to get anywhere (the ER is even farther away than the closest pediatrician). And I don't have any friends that could take me and I have 5 kids to deal with.
    Right now she's outside playing and seems fine. So it's only bothering her when she pees I guess. If she complains again I'm going to give her some Tylenol and hope it helps until we can get her in.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Skip the tylenol - get cranberry juice (not Ocean Spray, you want 100% juice, it is a little more expensive but worth it) and have her drink a LOT of it, as well as as much water as she can - the more she drinks & pees the more it'll help, and cranberry just helps period. I know there are cranberry pills (Azo) but don't know if kids can take them. Have your DH pick up some juice on his way home - you *may* be able to avoid the doc altogether, because it sounds like it's pretty early on. Now, if she starts running a temp at all, or vomits, you need to get her straight to the ER - yes, I understand your predicament, but for the sake of your DD's health, he'll have to come home early or find someone to take you or something.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had a UTI before and her doc said to give her Ocean Spray cranberry juice.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• How is she doing now?
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I'll remember the thing about the cranberry juice.

I asked her if it was still hurting and she said, "no" so who knows what it was.  It now looks like she has pink-eye.  I have stuff to treat that.

justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• yea crnbrry juice works
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010