My grandchild has started calling me "Mama" . I have had custody now of him for 2 plus yrs.

He is 5. Members of the other side of the family feel he should not be allowed to call me "mama" and have said that it is confusing to him. I feel that if he wants to call me "mama" that is up to him, as I am the one stabilty he has had. I am the one who is there when he is sick, has bad dreams, wants or needs something. He is my best pal and we are very close. I feel honored that he calls me "mama" as it shows how secure he feels considering all he has been through. Advice is apprecciated.

imagram17

Asked by imagram17 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A child needs to be able to count on somebody. And if you are the one who takes care of him, then you by "mama" to him. I see nothing wrong with it. If others have a problem with it- tell them to keep there opinions to themselves. I'm sure that if the child was in their home and the shoe was on the oppisite foot- they would want that child to trust,love, and honor them. Stay true to who you are and know that there are others of us that think this is a GREAT sign.
    Irontontiger

Answer by Irontontiger at 11:22 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• thats okay if he calls you momma if his real mother isnt around for him, does he know your his grandma?
    skin172

Answer by skin172 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• a friend of ours has custody of her 3 year old granddaughter who calls her "nanamamma"
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My cousin called our grandma "mama" too cause she basicly raised her while my aunt was trying to get an education. She knew who her real mama was over time, but I think she was confused for a while. I guess if his mother isn't in the picture it's ok. Otherwise it might be confusing for him. But it's gonna be expected that he sees you as his mama since you are playing that role already. :)
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 4:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sounds like you are the mama, maybe not biologically but you are being a mother to him and good for you. If he's real mama isnt stepping up to the plate and being a real mother. Then why does she deserve that title
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• As a Grandmother raising grandchildren for over 5 yrs now I totally get it. Let HIM decide. You are right, you are his Mama. His bio Mother can be addressed as "Mother" although if she's anything like my grandchildren's it is in no way an accurate description. I have a group called Grandparents raising Grandchildren we'd love to have you. It's a wonderful, small group of supportive women all in the same position. My granddaughter always calls us Grandma and Papa..but she refers to us at school as my Mom and Dad. My Grandson calls us grandma and Papa usually...often when he is sick or hurt though its just Mama and Papa.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think just decide what he can call you. Since he is saying MAMA I might call myself (If i were you) grandmama since it is so close to that name, and he can do his best. not his fault. Just say 'grandmama and you are outside on such a nice day" and stuff, but if he calls you mama, answer him. its all you can do...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you are comfortable I say let it be, if the family is making you uncomfortable-as they also may for the child, try mema...this way you will still have something that's very close & when the child starts asking questions about mama there will not be any confusion.
    Olivia K.

Answer by Olivia K. at 4:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had the same situation with my niece. We didn't live under the same roof for very long, but it was obvious that I had more interest in that child then her mother did. if that child wanted a hug, mommy would say no so she'd come to me for one.
    so she liked to (and still does) call me mom and her mother mommy.

in spite of all the things that people tried to do to get her to stop, it didn't work. she eventually would just whisper calling me mom or take me where others couldn't see so she could hug me and call me mom.
    I decided that was enough, that this was about a child not her parents ego.
    I say let him call you whatever he wants, trying to make him go against his feelings are worse for him in my opinion.

you go grandma! good for you for taking such good care of him!
    Anonymous

• I think it's up to him what he calls you.
    this is about his comfort not someone elses.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010