PLEASE HELP ME..what can i do about a mother in law that keeps telling me what to do with my kids...like what i can and can not name them and when i need to take my daughter off the bottle..and stuff like that...please help me

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• Tell her to mind her own business and to bac off they are your kids or have your dh talk to her
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:07 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• here is what you do you ask your husbad to tell her hey you know butt out but in a nicer way and you name and take your children off the bottle when you want to not when she thinks it is right
    juliansmommie23

Answer by juliansmommie23 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Simply remind her that she raised her own children and now you plan to raise yours. Tell her that when you feel you need advice you will gladly ask for it.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 2:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Well, depending on what kind of relationship you have with her, you could let her know you appreciate her advice but...they're your kids. Sometimes people are just a little overbearing when they try to "help". If that doesn't work, then tell your husband to talk to her as PP said. I know from personal experience it can be kind of delicate handling in-laws, but you can't let her rule your life, either.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• i have that problem with my mother but we have more of an in-law relationship... sounds wierd... what i did is i sat her down and said listen i appriciate the help and the advice but i want to do this on my own... if i have any questions or need any help trust me i will not hesitate to call... but this is stuff that i want to do and learn and exeriance first hand... and in the ways i want to do them...
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Who is she to say what you can or can't name your kids? Tell her it's none of her business and if she wants to see her grandkids she will back off.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Smile and nod, smile and nod.

I am not a huge fan of the "back off" approach towards my elders - sorry.

You don't have to take the advice but show some respect - this is your parther's mother. She can't be wrong all the time - so take the good and leave the bad and just practice your smile and nod.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• um tell her to mind her own business they are your children not hers if it were me i would ask her what name she does or doesn't like then pick the one she doesn't on pprpose just to piss her off
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• tell her that you will take her advise into play but since you are MOM you WILL be making the final decision!
    Anonymous

• My MIL learned a long time ago that I have no problem telling her that they are my kids, and I will raise them as I want to. Although her and DH don't have a great relationship, so I think that she might have realised that since she screwed up 2 of her kids, that I wasn't going to listen to her about mine!
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 27, 2008