Holy Cow... Anyone try the H.I.I.T workout program???

I wanted something different that pushed me more while building endurance. I am in week 3 of H.I.I.T ( High Intensity Interval Training). I downloaded a free PodCast from Itunes and LOVE IT....
My dh and I like to workout together and this is a GREAT program to push each other to be faster, work harder... Even our 8yr old and 6 yr old do it! (at a much different pace at the track)
Anyone else have good/bad/ugly to share about H.I.I.T?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I haven't done the particular workouts you're talking about, but yes, I've done lots of high intensity interval training. Goodness, there's almost nothing that will whip your butt into shape faster. If I do several HIIT workouts in a week, I will notice the following week that my regular exercise routines seem much easier.
    HIIT is also FANTASTIC for busting through a weight-loss plateau. The great thing about it too is that you can do it with almost any type of exercise--running on a treadmill (or the track), aerobics, any type of typical cardio exercise. I usually do 30-45 minutes at a time and WOW--it's a challenge!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Here are some links (on phone and can't make them clicky)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Here is the Podcast I started with in the beginning...

http://getfitpodpodcast.com/?s=hiit
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It is a challenge vice... Thanks for the advice on incorporating aerobic/cardio.. I had been so focused on running, I hadn't thought of that... You have inspired me to educate myself moreso on interval training... Thanks! I feel rejuvenated all day after a morning HIIT workout... In an OMG, I can't move my body~ rejuvenated sorta way!! LOL... In 2 weeks, I lost 6 pounds... While weight loss wasn't the primary concern, it was nice to kick it into gear.... I hope to train all winter to run my first 10k.... Then onto my first marathon (goal for my 40th birthday) ;o) I tried to do the AF marathon last September but tore a muscle in my leg 2 days prior while playing mud volleyball for charity of all things... lol...
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Wow, well if you're training for a 10K, then a marathon, then HIIT combined with long-distance endurance training should get you there. And I agree with you that the HIIT workouts--when you do them right and give it 100%--are EXHAUSTING! But satisfying!
    Good luck with your training.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Thanks vice.. You are right.. If you give it 100%, it gives right back to ya... While researching more HIIT programs out there, it Kinda makes some of those exercise gimmicks on tv look foolish... All you need is a watch, pair of running shoes, and the desire... Can't buy desire.. Gonna try the HIIT, cardio program next week... Found one with push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and running..... Gotta love a challenge.
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Oct. 14, 2010