What kind of things to you...

lie to your kids about?

I was just watching some of these answers on Oprah, and I'm honestly shocked at the stuff people admitted to telling their kids... No wonder people get upset with me for being overly honest with mine...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly I dont lie to my kids about much...I let them beleive in santa but that is about it, otherwise if they ask me a question they get an honest answer
    pregoagain2010

Answer by pregoagain2010 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• some people might consider telling them about santa is lying.

ive lied to my oldest about why her real dad hasnt called, i dont want to tell her the truth and say "he just doesnt care about you" so i tell her "hes working late" or something along the lines.

anything i lie about is a white lie. they are little and not old enough to understand some things.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't lie to them unless you count Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, DisneyWorld and Easter Bunny. And No, I don't consider it lying and no don't think there's anything wrong with letting your child believe in something magical that brings them such excitement and joy.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Good question. I can't think of too many things. I mean Santa and the tooth fairy, but once they start questioning it we fess up. My parents sheltered me completely, I was not really prepared for the real world. I will not do that to my kids. My kids know they can always come to me for an honest answer.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• What kind of lies did you see parents telling on the show?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am honest with my kids
    My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 4:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• One mom told her daughter if she doesn't put her seat belt on they will all be arrested and put in jail - even the baby...

Another mom said she told her son if he ate candy all his teeth would fall out...

Crazy stuff!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I try not to lie to my kids, I don't feel like I have a reason or do anything in my life to lie to them about other than the normal things...
    Santa Clause, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy. I try to be honest because kids grow up and do remember these things. If they ask me something, I try to answer them the best I can.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 4:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• i tell the kids that if they don't put their seat belts on, then i go to jail not them. but other than that they know santa's not real cuz of their cousin (i almost killed him!) was mad at us and told them. but they still believe just cuz its fun. i agree about the other moms getting mad. charana was in kinder and afew boys were making fun of cuz her daddy wasn't there and theirs was. right in front of their parents she looks them straight in the eye and says "my daddy's at work to keep a roof over our head! what's your daddy do?" the parents didn't like that. told them i couldn't help them, she speaks the truth no matter what.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I will say the park is closed if it's near dinner time and we didn't get around to going (still light out-summer time). I know-BAD.

Anonymous