Why do some women think they own a name?

For instance, they think of a name before they've even conceived, and if someone (a close friend or family member) happens to use that name they get so bent about it. I mean, if you're really that worried about someone 'taking' your name, why even tell people?

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 4:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Baby Names

• I say who cares if they take the same name...out of billions of people in the world I doubt you are the only one naming your kid melissa or david...lol
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 1:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• lol well is a close family member or friend does that then yeah, they did take the name. That's really kinda rude and thoughtless. Its best to never tell anyone what you are naming the baby until its born. With both of my kids I actually took them home from the hospital and later a few days later called the Social Security office and told them the name over the phone. I had to spend some time with my babies before I could decide what name fit them best.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think the reason some moms get mad when someone takes their name(especially if they're still prego) is becuse they spent a lot of time/thought on picking the perfect name and feel betrayed. They want their baby's name to be special and don't want to look at another child with the same name because they feel it will somehow devalue their own child's name.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:57 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• We didn't tell people with our kids so no issues. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I could give a poop if someone choose to name their child the same name I liked. I'd be flattered to be honest.
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 4:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• we got such an uprise from our family because we wanted to name our daughter sabine. after countess dewinter in the three musketeers. we found out that a friend had named his son riley and thats our daughters name. we just laughed. but your right about names, i don't understand either. and it's usally the family that you don't talk to.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• my family and friends are not dirty like that to take my names...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 4:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I know of three people that have chose the name Kynleigh (although two chose different spellings) for their own daughters...I'm flattered!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 4:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I dont think I own anything but out of courtesy, if a friend or family member confided in me that they planned on naming their child something, I would never use that name first. I would expect the same courtesy from them. Names are special and my children have fairly unique (for the times) names and I would be devastated if someone heard that and named their child that first. They are named after people/things very dear to us.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I admit, that thought has crossed my mind. There is a name I want if I have a girl, and there's a part of me that's a little scared that another family (who's having a girl in January) will choose the name too. If it's friends, it's different, but in close family... I dunno. I guess I would get over it.

thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010