How do I know if my daughter has a fever using underarm temps?

When my daughter was born the NICU taught me to take her temp under her arm. Now I'm reading that under the arm is the most inaccurate way to take a temp in a 7 week old. I called the dr and all the receptionist said was 98.6 was normal and hung up. What do I do?

Annyrose124

Asked by Annyrose124 at 4:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• you add a degree if you do it under the arm...98.6 would be 99.6
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Did you add a degree
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yeah and I told the receptionist that the actual reading was 99.2 (so that would really be 100.2?) and all she said was 98.6 is normal if she is still cranky tomorrow call back....
    Annyrose124

Comment by Annyrose124 (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• well 100.2 is ok and can usually be brought down with a warm bath. if it's over 101 then you take them in
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• How long was your daughter in the NICU and what for?

My son was in the NICU when born he was a 33 weeker and we were told anything over 99.5 he needed to be seen. That was probably until he was like 10 weeks old or so. Then it was anything over 100.5 he needed to be seen and that was for awhile, I don't remember how long they told us that. I know closer to one they said anythinog over 101 he needed to be seen.

Did the NICU staff not tell you when you should bring her in to her doctor or did her doctor not give you a guideline of when she needs to be seen in regards to fevers? If not, then I would ask the doctor for recommendations pertaining to your daughter specifically, not just the "rule of thumb."
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:17 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Orignally the drs were concerned for merconium (sp?) poisioning so they wanted her in NICU as soon as she was born. When she finally came out she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck twice, they didn't like the way she was breathing and her platelet counts were half of what they were supposed to be. Then the day before we were getting sent home she ended up with jaundice and had to be put under lights for phototherapy. At the hospital they never said anything about what a fever was under the arm. I've read so many different things online and told was different things by people I'm confused. Nobody in the actual medical field has actually helped me at all.
    Annyrose124

Comment by Annyrose124 (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• as horrible as it may sound the most accurate wat to take a temp. is in the butt. its the most accurate with both children and adults. you can buy prob covers in tyhe store and lube it up with alittle A and D.
    supermommy1983

Answer by supermommy1983 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I use what the my son's dr uses. She uses a thermometer that you slide across the forehead. But you need to add 1 degree to whatever you are reading.:)

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• the one across the forehead is called a temporal thermometer, I love mine!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• keep watchin it
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010