For crafty moms, question about hanging wooden letters..

I bought, painted and decorated wooden letters that spell out my DD's name and now I'm ready to hang them (I've had them since she was a baby, but they were on a shelf). Now that I want to hang them, I want to use ribbon then have them hang from the ribbon.. but I can't for the life of me figure out the best way to attach the ribbon to the letters.

I was thinking I could use a staple gun, and just bunch up the ribbon so that the staple goes on either side of the ribbon, holding it in place, but not puncturing the ribbon.. Then I was thinking that it might crack the wood. :-/

Ideas?????

And thanks!

FatGirl239

Asked by FatGirl239 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• hot glue would probably work as well if the letters aren't too heavy. but I would think a staple gun would be alright to use as well...:-/ if they are the letters from babies r us i looked at those and they didnt feel too heavy too me, i would think hot glue would be ok for those kind.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Depending on how heavy the letters are, you could try gluing the ribbon to the wood with either a glue gun or crazy glue. Just be sure to let it dry all the way, and to angle the ribbon the way it will be on the wall.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Attach picture hangers to the back for the actual letter. Hot glue the ribbon on and then you can hang that part decoratively. -- OR -- You can attach the ribbon with a thumb tack to the wooden letters, that way they don't crack.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Hot glue, stapler or you can just hang with double side tape (velcro tape) if you don't use the ribbon.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 4:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• The letters are pretty heavy.. I could try hot glue and once it is try hang it a few inches from the floor (not on my dd's wall) for a few days and see how well it holds up..
    FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 4:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Attach picture hangers to the back for the actual letter. Hot glue the ribbon on and then you can hang that part decoratively.

THAT is a fantastic idea.. then I wouldn't worry about them falling.. LOL
    FatGirl239

Comment by FatGirl239 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I used hot glue it's worked so far- but my letters were chip board not wood so...
    attaching picture hangers sounds like a good idea to me
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• if hot glue isn't strong enough for the weight, you could try gorilla glue..that stuff is super strong, and it takes very little.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would think that if you tied knots in the ribbons and then stapled the wood over the ribbon, that might work.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:18 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• dido
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 9:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010