What can I do in my field?

So I am trying to figure out what I what direction I want to take with the degrees I am pursuing. I am working toward a bachelor's in English and Psychology. The most obvious track is education, but I do not think I want to go that route. So I am wondering what direction I should take and have had little luck with online searching and my academic counselor has been no help. I tried to get into a career couselor but there is a year long waiting list. So I am asking all of you what you think. I have a fascination with the human mind (mostly behavioral analysis in serial killers) and I love to write. I thought about working for a magazine company but do not live in an area that has a major magazine company and I can not relocate bc my husband is in the military. Any suggestions on a field or a site I can visit?

hostlerak

Asked by hostlerak at 4:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you want to write and actually make a living, you need an MFA. A BA in English doesn't get you much. I have one. I went to grad school. I work in a completely unrelated field.

The education market is completely saturated for humanities teachers. Math and science teachers are needed.

English and psychology are 2 of the most popular majors in liberal arts colleges. Ther are tons of people with the same degree competing for the same job. You need to find a skill you have a develop it. These are not job training degrees.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 4:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• People have told me that there is jobs that you can get with a bachelor's in both fields, but these would be temporary jobs until I get my master's. From research that I have done on the cirriculum the bachelor's degrees in both fields seem to be pretty much the same content. However, it seems as though the master's degrees want you to specialize in something and I am not sure what I want to specialize in.
    hostlerak

Comment by hostlerak (original poster) at 5:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have a B.A. in English. I haven't been able to do much in it. My plan was to be a novelist, but it's very difficult to do that. I worked for a while as a temp and freelance reporter for the local newspaper. I then went on to do some other things in other fields. Right now, I own my own business. I've also started writing again. I have my own blog. I've also starting freelance writing for two websites, applied to another one today and will apply to another one next week. i'm trying to build up my proflio and maybe start a second business doing editorial work at some point in the future. PM if you want to talk.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Go to law school

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2010