Castor Oil?

Has anyone ever used castor oil to start labor once full term? If so, how should I go about taking it? How much, etc. I've been looking up alternative method's to helping b/c my OB is wanting to do an induction soon if the little one doesnt come on her own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if you wanna start labor then have some sex and get up and move. don't give yourself violent diarrhea
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 5:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Take your nipples in your fingertips and roll them it will stimulate, that should work its worked for my three children. But make sure its your due time. Because for me it did work!! Good luck and let me know if it works..
    Vmahoney

Answer by Vmahoney at 5:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I heard castor oil just makes you really sick and its not worth it:
    other tricks to try- raspberry tea, eating pineapple, having sex, going for long walks
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• DON'T DO IT!!! The effectiveness rate is VERY low. The risk of your baby having a bowel movement is VERY HIGH. It works by causing intestinal cramping (read: diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration), and hopefully uterine cramping. It passes to the baby, which is why it increases the risk of meconium (fetal bowel movement). If the baby has a bowel movement, they have an extremely high risk of respiratory infection. The risks far outweigh the benefits, and most providers don't recommend it anymore. The women I know who've tried it haven't had any success with it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have never tried it. But I would just skip it, from what I have heard it just causes major diarrhea and nothing else. I feel your pain in wanting to have the baby already I am 40 weeks and 5 days along.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 5:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Try the nipple stimulation. I cant say it enought to the mamas out there. But please make sure its your due time.
    Vmahoney

Answer by Vmahoney at 5:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Castor Oil doesn't work!
    Mom2Dano

Answer by Mom2Dano at 7:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I beg to differ on the castor oil thing. My mom took it will all 4 of us kids with success. I'm not saying it's the ideal method, however. She didn't have any problems with my older sister. I was the lucky one who got to inhale my own poop (a story I never live down) with an embelicle cord nuse, and my 2 brothers she didn't have problems with either. Personally, i couldn't because I would puke, and projectile diarrhea just doesn't sound applealing to me with an audience.....
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 7:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You said: "my OB is wanting to do an induction soon if the little one doesnt come on her own."

But remember that it's *your* decision.

If you don't have any reason to force labor then it's adding unnecessary risks. This is an option and you decide, your doctor is your consultant with a biased opinion.

Regarding what is safest for a healthy pregnancy (assuming this includes your situation), I don't think you should add any unnecessary risks.

Babies do come whenever they & mom's body are ready for it.

There is a reason you are still pregnant, right?
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:53 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have heard it works well, but makes you barf and have violent diarrhea. There are other ways to supposedly stimulate labor, but best to let your body and baby do they were designed to do and let it happen on its own. Don't mess with nature, ya know? You may not believe it, but in a few weeks you will probably miss being pregnant. Enjoy it while it lasts.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010