If you had to give a speech to expectant parents, and it could be on ANY one subject you are passionate about...

What subject would you choose and what point would you want them to walk away with?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Mine's a biggie... :) lol

Circumcision: I would want them to know that there are VERY good reasons to leave their son intact and people do choose this all the time and are perfectly FINE!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• CPR!!!!!!!!!!! LEARN IT, REMEMBER IT, LOVE IT! You dont ever think there will ever be a time you will need to do it to your own child, but god forbid if or when something happens and youre the only one around YOU HAVE TO!

( I had to give my son CPR... near drowning!! Im lucky I knew what to do)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:45 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Nutrition, the Environment, Compassion, Love, Family, Community, Embracing differences, Life, The Universe, and Everything in it....I know, couldn't be done in one speech! LOL!
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Newborns aren't supposed to eat many ounces of milk and stay content for hours on end. That isn't normal. They are supposed to eat a tiny bit very often. And feeding them more won't make them sleep all night.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'm passionate about all my parenting choices, but the one that I'm an "activist" on is breast feeding.

I would focus the presentation on the common sense reasons to breast feed rather than the health statistics and text book stuff. It's cheaper, it's convenient, it's a magic fluid that gets rid of sinus infections.... I think the big selling point that people forget to mention is how formula feeding kinda sucks for the parents. BFing is the most awesome lazy mom choice! LOL!

washing bottles sucks. Making a 4am bottle while the baby is freaking out sucks. Running out of formula sucks. Seeing your grocery bills sky rocket sucks. Carrying the FFing supplies in the diaper bag is heavy and sucks.

I would end the presentation with those funny cafe press onesies that say things like "I drink from the tap" and "boob man"
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would focus on stress management. I would like them to have the knowledge that it is okay to walk away from a crying baby, and take a few minutes to just count to 10, or drink a cup of hot tea, call a family member for counsel, etc. If they are feeling stressed to the point of 'seeing red', it's imperative that the parent to just walk away, rather than harm their child. I'd hope that reaffirming the walk, don't act idea would prevent infant deaths or shaken baby syndrome.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Pay attention to what their kids are saying, doing and who they are spending time with.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• READING TO YOUR CHILD!! this is much more than a learning experience for your child, but a very important time of bonding, one-on-one with them, as well. too often, in today's world, we're all so busy going/coming, that we miss out on special 'us' time. all kids want attention from mom/dad, especially when there is more than one in the family. read to them, talk about the story, ask them questions, take your time, and be patient as they learn new things. you can never get back what you don't take advantage of!
    READ TO YOUR CHILD!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Same thing Mom2TwoBabes said. Circumcision is really the only baby topic I'm adamant about.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Raise your child to your standards and no one elses. Competitive parenting is a dangerous trend. Each family is different- find what works for you and your family. Enjoy the journey and love your children. Be involved and lead by example.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010