can I take my 16 yr old sisters baby?

my 16 yr old sister just found out she is preg. she is nowhere near menatly stable enough 2 raise a baby her dad who she lives with is a real jerk. if she has the baby can I take the baby?

Hbabygirl476

Asked by Hbabygirl476 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• why dont you sit down and talk to her maybe she can sign over rights to you but you cant take her baby thats kidnappking
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 5:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, if you want to do a legal open adoption... she has to make that decision though.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• The only way you can take the baby is if you can prove she is an unfit mother. Even then you would have to go to court to get custody.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 5:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• This whole thing is so "ffed"up its crazy.
    Anonymous

• you can't TAKE the baby
    just bcuz she's not stable enuff doesn't mean you can TAKE that baby away from her - that baby is a part of her
    you can HELP her
    JeffsBaby1

Answer by JeffsBaby1 at 5:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Instead of taking your Sister's Baby from her............. Why don't you see what you can do to Help her out? i think that would be a much better choice-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Yes, i guess pretty much Play Mom- Taking a Parenting Class would probably be a Great idea for your sister before the Baby is born; she could get the skills that are needed & really see how much responsability it is going to be taking care of a baby-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• As far as I know you dont have legal means to just take the baby. you can call CPS and if they feel the baby is in danger and needs to be fostered...YOU can be the foster mother if found fit to be.

OR, if she agrees that you can legally take her dd...then you can.

OR, you could try to help her grow up and guide her into becoming all the mother she can be.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You don't know how a person is going to be as a mother based on how they are before it. It is ridiculous you are even going so far as to say you are going to take her child when you don't even know how she will be. My sister had a child at 15. She was young, immature, and didn't make good decisions. She is a wonderful mom, her son is very intelligent, and even though she may not always make the right decisions she would never let a think happen to him. You may not like that she is pregnant at such a young age and I didn't when my sister got pregnant either but you have to give her a chance. She may turn out to be a good mom also. If after this child is born, she isn't good for that child then maybe I would take steps in trying to help the child. BUT YOU never know, so until then why don't you help her by giving her information any young mother would need. I am sure you didn't know it all either when you became a mom.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• how rude of you, I had my son at 16, and now am married and have 4 more children, and Iwas a wild child! Youcannot be sure that this childwont cange her in wonderful ways! Give her a chance, and the fact is CPS would have to deem her a bad parent orincapable of caring for the baby! Grow up!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 14, 2010