Do you pay attention to what's in your "Toiletries" products?

Shampoos, Conditioners, Toothpaste, Moisturizers, so on and so forth...

All have really scary stuff in them if you actually read the ingredients. I see so many people jumping on the "Organic" food bandwagon or talking about how dangerous things like juice and processed foods are... And I'm not disagreeing - BUT, I am always shocked how many people pay attention to food, and then slather chemicals on their skin every time they shower...

What about you? Do you pay attention? Or are you in the majority that just don't care or don't know...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:48 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I do pay attention and care. I love my Lush and Burt's Bees and other natural, organic products.

They just don't love my wallet.... :(

So I've pared back my routine to the stuff I absolutely CAN'T live without (shampoo, conditioner, soap, sunscreen) until I get my finances square enough again that I can buy what I really want.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• There's antifreeze in almost all cosmetics. Chemicals you cannot even pronounce in anything else. Should we be grateful when they test it on animals, at least then you know if the chemicals will harm your skin? Not that I WANT animals harmed, especially bunnies =(
    Lipstick has some of the worst stuff in it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Very much,.. but I really only started noticing once I got pregnant.. I wish I knew that before I got pregnant to better detoxify myself but at least I DID find out... I actually stopped wearing makeup all together anyway before I knew but because I was too lazy most days to do it, I don't use hair products other than a pony tail :) my son has to use head and shoulders for "cradle cap" that seems to be never ending and only because I have yet to find a non-toxic version that relieves his itching and flaking scalp.. its a devistating realization knowing all the toxic products out there..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I do pay attention and have been switching out personal care products and cosmetics for brands that work hard at eliminating toxic ingredients. There are a few blogs out there that have great information about toxic ingredients and reviews on organic products. Bubble & Bee Blog, The Glamorganic Goddess , and The Silverlining are my favorites.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 6:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• no, i don't usually go beyond pleasant smell and texture, and whether it works for me or not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:03 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I do like Lush and buy it whenever I get extra money, but for the most part I just buy what smells good
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• ABSOLUTELY, I pay attention. That's why I wiped out all the bad stuff years ago and replaced everything with safer alternatives. I've also come to realize that you don't need nearly half the stuff you think you do; been able to save lots of $$$ while still buying (pricier) organic/safer things because I don't need as many things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I do pay attention to both. I only use Jordan Essentials bath & body products because I know what is in them & where they are made. I know that they are botanical and contain no harsh ingredients or parabens. 

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:24 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• sure do! Love Burts Bees and Yes to Carrots. Searching for cosmetics... slowly replacing those!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I do not pay attention and I don't care. If it works and smells nice, I'm good to go.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010