Any nurses on? IV site swelling...

6 days ago I was treated for a horrific headache in the ER. They gave me compazine and benadryl through an IV as well as contrast dye when they did a CT scan to check for a blood clot in my brain.
Well. Last night I noticed a pain and swelling and "tightness of the skin" feeling in my left forearm just above the IV site. There is some slight streakiness coming from it as well. My dr is at a medical conference until Monday. Is this a serious issue that I should go back to the er for or just wait until Monday when he gets back?

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Health

• I would go to a walk in clinic. If unavailable then I'd go to the er. It may be infected or a blood clot.
    Anonymous

• There's a few things that could have happened. You could have phlebitis, which is inflammation of the vein caused by the medications you were given. Compazine burns going in. Your IV site could have infiltrated, which means that the IV fluid leaked out of the catheter and into the surrounding tissue. Again, compazine is caustic and could have caused irritation. Or you could have an infection from the site getting contaminated. I'd say keep an eye on it, draw a circle around the redness to see if it spreads, or find an on call nurse to advise you further.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:17 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• the streakiness that you are refering too, is this coming off one spot? You need to watch for blood poisoning. Draw a line around the readness, and watch for a line of readness. If you have a line you need to go to the ER right away.
    momof5kiki

Answer by momof5kiki at 9:21 PM on Oct. 13, 2010