What do you think?

Read this article and share your thoughts here.

http://www.livescience.com/culture/081027-religion-altruism.html

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 2:25 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Many who believe in God, fear that if those who do not take over, the world we live in will be anarchy. Murder, rape, and general discord surely must follow if there is no god. This article seems to contradict such thinking. What are your thoughts?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:27 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Heh. I think someone got a huge grant to state the obvious - you don't have to have religion to be a good person, want to help society, care about your neighbor and have morals. Seriously though - I think Atheists will read this and say, "Well, duh." and religious people will say "Thats God working through people they just don't know it and science would never give Him credit."

Fun fun :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Yeah....that didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 2:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Altruism was central to the teachings of Jesus found in the Gospel especially in the Sermon on the Mount..

Notable messages in the Sermon include:
    • The beatitudes (6:20-26)
    • Love your enemies and turn the other cheek (6:27-36)
    • Treat others the way you want to be treated (6:31)
    • Don't judge and you won't be judged, don't condemn and you won't be condemned, forgive and you will be forgiven, give and you will receive (6:37-38)
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 3:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Con't
    • Can the blind lead the blind? Disciples are not above their teacher (6:39-40a)
    • Remove the log from your own eye before attending to the splinter in your friend's (40b-42)
    • A good tree does not produce bad fruit and a bad tree cannot produce good fruit, each tree is known by its fruit (43-45)
    • Why do you call me Lord, Lord yet not do what I command? (46)
    • Whoever follows these words of mine builds on rock and will survive, whoever does not builds on sand and will be destroyed (47-49)
    According to 7:1, after Jesus had said everything he had to say to the crowd, he went to Capernaum.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 3:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Apparently, nobody was nice before Christianity.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I loved this article!! Although it was nothing I didn't already believe, I think many religious people would disagree. It is nice to have some actual evidence to back up my own belief.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 4:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Well, Avarah... if you want to get technical... Since God created Earth, and everything on it, including the first humans... then no, nobody was nice before "Christianity". And another thing; since we as a people did stray from the right path, REPEATEDLY... that's why Christ was here. People are not inherently good.. we are inherently selfish and destructive.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Oh, so brandy you are one of those people who think anyone that doesn't believe in god is selfish and destructive?
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:23 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• No... thats not what I said. I believe all people are naturally selfish and destructive, even Christians. Being Christian doesn't make anyone perfect, but we try to do the right things, for the right reason. But we also have to fight the inclinations that all human beings have; to be vengeful, selfish, condescending, self-serving, and destructive.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2008