I'm an alcoholic....

If I don't wake up and drink I start drinking and get sick.I want to stop but I'm scared to just stop because it feels like I'm dying. I can't go to an inpatient place and I don't have insurance. How would I go about getting help? I live in WA...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Health

• for starters, you could find a local chapter of AA meetings, and attend regularly, every time they have a meeting. you can talk to whomever is 'in charge', as it varies, and they could tell you about your local organizations.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You can go down to DSHS and get on what they call a GAU grant. Its for people with chemical dependencies. They will pay for you to go to treatment, or refer you to someone who can. Good luck hun, best wishes.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 6:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Here there is also an outpatient place for rehab and mental health. You have to have an admittance from the ER though. I would find a good doctor who can give you a referral, or you may even try talking with someone a local mental health clinic since those places are often interlinked. They base the cost on your ability to pay. Most states have some sort of program like this for addicts. Then I would have a good support group, both in person and online. You could start HERE: http://www.intherooms.com/?id=adwordsAAcommunity

I wish you all the luck and blessings in the world. I know it is hard. My aunt has been an alcoholic for many years and has no desire to change even though hit is destroying her health and her kids have a rocky relationship with her. It's not because it's impossible, but because she has no desire. I have many OTHER family members who have done it and been sober for decades. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My husband went to a rehab, (outpatient) He didn't have insurance at the time, but he qualified to be covered by the state. You should certainly look into that. He still attends AA meeting reguarly. He's been clean and sober for 5 years. Go for it, you can do it. Go start living your life! :)
    Rachel24517

Answer by Rachel24517 at 6:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Excellent advice from the ladies above. I want to tell you that I am a recovering alcoholic and am celebrating 8 years of sobriety on October 20th. You CAN do it once you commit to it wholeheartedly and go to any lengths to stay sober. Please, get help; you just don't know what a great life you're missing out on. Best wishes to you and (((hugs)))
    Anonymous

• Definatly try to find some place that will take you inpatient regardless of insurance. There are state funded programs in my state that do this. detoxing from alcohol can be serious, even causing seizures. They will also need to do blood work to check liver function and all that good stuff. You will want to be somewhere safe and with a good staff to detox. You will get sick. My brother in law was inpatient a few months ago and these days they usually only keep you about 5 days to detox, the rest is outpatient. And they gave him medications to help with the nausea they experience to keep you as comfortable as possible. Though it is still tough. Best of luck to you. Don't give up! You can do this!
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would consult first with a family practice physician. Don't stop drinking abruptly without the intervention of a physician. It can cause seizures and other health related problems. Call and schedule an appointment today, he may give you medication to assist you through withdrawl, as well as something to help you stop. You definately need counseling as well, and AA doesn't always offer what you need. It's a nice concept, but you really need to find a safe way to quit first, if you feel you need meetings 3 times a week, go for it, but counseling is a must. Contact your local mental health clinic for assistance with reduced prices on counseling. Many free clinics have mental health and substance abuse programs and groups.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 8:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• iM FROM PORTLAND WE HAVE HOOPERS I DONT KNOW IF YOU HAVE A CHEAP PLACE LIKE THAT, BUT IF NOT IF YOU GET REAL SICK THE ER WILL HELP YOU, SOME PAIN WITH ALL GAIN i KNOW FORMER HERION ADDICT.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010