stool softener

Can you give the little timmies brand stool softener to a 4 month old? I have tried everything and my pediatrician says "babies can go up to 12 days without going to the bathroom". All this is after i have told her that my baby goes everyday, and i know when she is trying to go and she just can't get it out with out some help. I am looking for a new pediatrician. does anyone know if stool softener is safe? I've tried prune juice , karo, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• id start with a half dosage but it should be fine... they make all sorts of stuff now... the make baby lax too that you can get at your local walmart... its comes in droppers dissovling strips or suppositories... for her age i wouldnt do a full dosage unless the box says too... nbut a half dosage wouldnt hurt... my son is 14 months old and just had some massive diahrrea and i gave him a half dosage of childrens immodium which is made for 6 years and up and he is just fine,,,,
    reipea0807

Answer by reipea0807 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Give her babie prunes out of a jar to keep her regular at least twice a week , and I used glycerin suppositories for both of my twins. They have pediatric size for babies. You need only the top 1/2 of it for your little one. You can get them at just about any drug store>>
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 2:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• They make pediatric glycerin suppositories that are safe for use on a baby. My pediatrician told me to start with 1/4 of the suppository. Another thing that helps--- put some vaseline on a q-tip, and GENTLY rub it on the inside of the baby's little (sorry, there's no nicer way to say this) butt hole. It will stimulate her to go.
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 3:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• hey my doctor told me the same thing- that it was normal for my son to go without pooping for a few days. i didn't think it was right for him to go too long- so i gave him 3 table spoons of prune juice in his bottle; the next morning i was greeted with a good-morning mommy smile, and a full diaper!
    Stephanie.Xo

Answer by Stephanie.Xo at 4:04 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• does the baby have hard poop? Because it's normal for them to strain and look uncomfortable but be just fine.
    My guy goes a week without pooping... if he goes longer I give a suppository.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• have you tried pears? They are softer on the tummy and tastier than prunes.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2008