What are we supposed to save?

OK~I'm an older mom and still don't know how to file my life. I mean I know how to if I find the time...it's just of all the paper work coming in...what do we really want to save?

I have school files for each kid~
Medical
Taxes
insurance

but how many cards, drawings, photos do we save and how to do it well?

surfcitymom

Asked by surfcitymom at 6:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My mom saved all the cards and stuff i made at school in a keep sake box that stayed in the rafters in the garage. And once a year she would put all the cards and stuff in that box. After my sister and i moved out she sent the boxes with us that way we could keep what we wanted and toss what we didnt.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have files of my own stuff from school and such that my dad saved for me. It was pretty neat. I think its a good idea to pass it on to your kids. Then they can keep the memories of which they choose.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 6:14 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:03 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Check out FlyLady.net She has a list of what papers need to be saved and for how long. Very, very useful. My youngest has just started kindergarten (older kids are in hs) so we're again inundated with papers from school. I try to just post my favorite of the day on the fridge and toss the rest. If your kids are older and you really like their stuff, keep a box for each kid under a sofa and go through it each month/term/year as needed.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 7:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I did go thru 18 years of photos...deleted or threw out the naked pics...geez how times have changed.
    going threw the filing cabinet...ready to shred everything!

surfcitymom

Comment by surfcitymom (original poster) at 7:00 PM on Oct. 13, 2010