How can I start a petition in my local area?

I am interested in getting certain things accomplished in my local area like
putting a fast food place on our local highway, getting public restroom facilities
installed in our downtown area, getting bluelight safety poles in our communities,
getting a doggie watering and poop bag station installed in our communities, etc..
I am an average citizen. I am not part of any community action group or non-profit.
I just want to write a letter to my local legislators and any other interested parties,
with a signed petition of those who also want to see these changes take place.

pinthemix

Asked by pinthemix at 6:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why don;t you run for mayor of your town? If not, then i believe you need to go to your local town hall and ask about generating and certifying a petition. You write it up, and pound the pavement for the required number of signatures (whatever your town's bylaws require), then, you would present your ideas to your city council for vote or for it to be added to your town's ballot in the next election (depending on the type of idea you have and all that would be involved.)

You need to keep in mind that every city has in place zoning laws, easements, business tax bases, safety and traffic patterns and regulations, especially in the case of a fast food restaurant! there needs to be an interest by said company to want to build a location, and they would want to conduct a feasibility study to see if it would even be worthwhile!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• LoriK has it covered… :o)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010