How do I tell my brother that I cant babysit for him anymore without him getting mad? adult content

I told him I could babysit his 6 month old son until I found a job. Well, I found one and Im supposed to start monday but I know he is going to get mad once I tell him this. I babysit for almost 50 hours a week, not to mention that I have to pick him up every morning after dropping my oldest off to school. He pays my $70 per week. It just isnt worth it and its too much of a hassle esp. because I have 2 and 1 is in school. Both him & his GF work, and she makes good money working at a hospital as a med. assistant. I dont want him to be mad about this but I have a feeling he is going to be.. What can I say to him to let him know I cant do it anymore without him getting mad at me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Make it about the good news that you found a job.

"Hey, guess what? You know how I've been looking for a job? Well, I found one! I am so excited. I will be starting on Monday. I know this leaves you short notice about the babysitting, and I apologize for that , but this will be good for me. I hope you understand."
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You made it clear that the arrangement was temporary until you found a job. Well, you have found a job & start on Monday. That is just how it is. If he gets mad, even tho he knew ahead of time that this is what could happen, then so what?! He & his GF should've done the responsible thing & started looking for a replacement while you were nice enough to help them out. That's what responsible parents are supposed to do. Congrats on the new job!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You just tell him that you found a job, and you appreciate the chance to have spent time with your nephew.
    The only thing I'm hesitant on is the fact that you stated you start your new job on Monday...if you haven't told him yet, that doesn't give him much time to make other arrangements, and he might justifiably be irritated about that. But if he's just mad in general because he's losing his cheap babysitter, then that's his problem. You're just going to have to be honest and try to help out as much as you can through the transition. Good luck.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Tell him asap. It was part of your original agreement so he should not be upset. If you wait too long he won't be able to find childcare.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 6:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• You have a life too. He will be mad. Life goes on. Just tell him.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 6:49 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Ive only been babysitting for one weeks and told him that I was awaiting replies because I had went and put in applications the day before I started babysitting. I told him to have a backup plan incase someone calls.. But he has a really short temper, so I know he is going to blow up on me, and I just dont want him mad at me over something I already told him about.... :-/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I agree with layh41407. if the deal was that it was until you got a job, you kept your end of the bargain.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 6:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well after reading your follow up, I'd say you've been fair if you told him it was only temporary. Just tell him nicely and if he gets pissy, oh well. He'll just have to get over it.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010