Who else feels belittled at job fairs?

I went to a job fair today. I decided not to give out any of my resumes but just to collect information. I just didn't feel that I had a chance, and I just didn't want to humiliate myself by applying. After dealing with a spell of nine months of job searching without a single call for an interview, and I'm not exactly in my twenties or early thirties, I felt like a lost cause. Spoke to others and was told that the prime pick are those in their twenties. I felt that what best I got out from the fair was all the promotional plastic cups, pens, and other doodads. I'm glad that I didn't turn in any applications. I'd rather start at the very bottom and build my way up without the embarrassment of my age and staggered work history.

Who else feels the same way about job fairs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nope, can't say I do. But every one I've ever been to was just a bunch of schools, no jobs...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have helped put together 4 career fairs at my college and I have not once felt that vibe at all and we had a good range of attendees from age 20-40.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• With your confidence of course thats how its going to be. They smell your confidence, they like that!

If it were me, I would want to hire the best bang for my buck! So the more experienced the better, and of course with the economy you dont want to be spending tons of money on training newbies.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Not been to one of them in a long time, this is why i love being self employed, I know what I am capable of and only have to prove myself to me, especially at my age! Good luck with your search.
    pmccoy

Answer by pmccoy at 7:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I've been to Teacher Job Fairs- OMG talk about herding cattle. It is VERY discouraging to stand in a line of 50 plus people(per booth), to speak to a district with 1 or 2 openings.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• On the other hand, how will you ever have a chance to get a job if you don't even bother to apply? Lots of companies/businesses are looking for mature people with experience.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I have never attended one basically because around here the jobs tend to be manufacturering or telemarketing.

Next time, do your research on who will be there. That way you'll know something about the company. Employers are impressed by that.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:19 PM on Oct. 14, 2010