Is it possible to stop domestic abuse with an ad (public service announcement)? adult content

Before they made headlines for splitting up, Courteney Cox and David Arquette were getting attention for their latest joint project, a viral video aimed at calling attention to domestic violence. In the ad, Arquette dons a bunny suit to engage in simulated, fairly graphic “furry” sex with what he thinks is his bunny-suited wife, only to have Cox, also in a bunny suit, walk in the door several positions later. The “girl bunny” in bed with Arquette takes off the head and turns out to be Jack McBrayer (Kenneth from 30 Rock). The three all have a good laugh about the misunderstanding. “That’s just wrong,” reads the message onscreen. Arquette then discusses the ills of domestic violence: that every 15 seconds a woman is beaten, and that “no one is talking about it.” “We’ll stop at nothing to break the silence about domestic violence,” Arquette says.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow, vauge reference much? I think PSAs work a lot better when the audience is not left thinking WTH was that?
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 3:41 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Uhmmm, I know that won't help! And I doubt that ads will help any, as far as the one who assaults but ads might incentivize the one who is being assaulted, to seek help! That is a giant 1st step and could very well save their life!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:13 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't get it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 7:29 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I think that might be kind of tasteless.

IDK...i think there are much more powerful images that could be used to raise awareness about DV.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:10 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Well, I don't necessarily get that one. BUT I think that PAs can at least force us to think about it, and possibly stop to help if we see something like this.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 7:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't get the bunny reference either!

No...PSAs don't work. The best media is print material--especially statistics and images...radio and TV ads go by too quickly, and are not embedded into our long-term memories.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I don't get the whole bunny-suit thing. I think some ads can help those being abused know that they aren't the only ones, they don't have to live with it, and can seek help.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• (not weirdos in a bunny suit)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 7:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That particular one? Eh, I don't get it, so I'm gonna say no it won't help. I think PSA's might help with awareness, but it's not going to stop the abuse. It's kinda like the radio ads I've been hearing about shaken baby syndrome. It will help with awareness, but a lot of shaken baby syndrome is due to abusive situations. Those people don't think they are doing anything wrong, so they won't think they need to stop anything.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I'd sY NO
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010