Baby with Reflux and can't be soothed.

DD was diagnosed with AR when she was 5 months old and has been on baby zantac since. We had originally thought it was food allergies so I stopped nursing and went to organic soy formula, which helped but she's still an unhappy baby. In the past month all she has done is cry, we've upped her medication and tried the reflux formulas which seem to help but she's still very cranky. Is there anything else we can do to soothe her? We've tried gripe water, warm baths, rocking, cradling, and putting her in the swing and the Boppy but nothing seems to make her happy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aww! I'm so sorry, mamma, I've been there. Have you tried different formulas? Sometimes babies are sensitive to dairy protein, and since dairy and soy proteins are very similar, most babies who have trouble with diary also have trouble with soy. There are formulas that don't use either, you could try that and see if it helps.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• try another formula...what are your parameters on failing on soy? Try and get the stomach to empty as fast as you can...so a more broken down formula might help the stomach dump faster. Position with babies really helps...after a feeding do a good burp and lean the baby with the right side down to help the stomach empty. After 30 minutes, if a baby is still spitting up milk, then they might be delayed emptiers...I offer water to help the stomach to dump to the small intestine.....

simethicone drops help get the gas out....
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 7:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Bless your heart....it sounds like your doing all you can.....about the only thing you haven't tried is a homeopathic remedy for colic....wouldn't hurt to try...perhaps infant massage? or a Chiropracter? I know that about 15 years ago, I had a friend whose baby had a similiar problem....she finally took him to a Children's Hospital in Atlanta where they said it was a yeast infection and treated him for that....and it worked....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I ahd this same problem with my daughter when she was born five years ago, I took her to the docter and they told me that the Iron in the milk was to srong for her stomach and they put her on Enfamil Nutramigen that is a speical kind of milk its cows milk broak down to where she could Drink her milk and you can get a perscription from the doctor and you take it wo the wic office and they caan print you out Vochers for that milk. They had my daughter on the Zantac and The Prlosec as well.
    MissMandy25

Answer by MissMandy25 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Have you been to a pediatric gastroenterologist? The next step, medication wise, would be a PPI, such as Prevacid. These types of meds work by shutting off some of the pumps that make acid in the stomach. I suffer from acid reflux, and I need to take a PPI AND Zantac.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• look up happiest baby on the block. My friend said it really works for her and their child. hey it's worth a shot. you can utube it. good luck!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• take her to a CHIROPRACTOR - i swear it will help!
    Anonymous

• my 7 week old was diagnosed with severe acid reflux he takes zantac and urecholine. ive been giving hime similac advanced and rice cereal. he is switching his formua to alimentum. ive read the it is good fo reflux. sorry about my typin i on my mobil anywho i know it sucks i cant wait to see if the alimm makes him a happier baby
    dmez

Answer by dmez at 11:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• have you tried the similac Alimentum formula? my son has reflux as well and thats the formula that he's on.
    coopersmommy01

Answer by coopersmommy01 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• my son was diagnosed with Laryngomalacia and GERD and was on zantac and prilosec and neither of them worked he might need surgery.
    coopersmommy01

Answer by coopersmommy01 at 12:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010