Could you..

be a surrogate? Why or why not?

tiddliwinks

Asked by tiddliwinks at 7:16 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It honestly depends upon who I'm doing it for. I'm not sure I could do it for just anyone, due to reasons other have listed, like getting attached. But if my best friend, who had to have an emergency hysterectomy after giving birth to her second (and her husband's only) child wanted another, I'd be her surrogate in a heart beat. If my sister in law ever decided she wanted children, I'd do it in a heart beat. She had her tubes tied last year because of issues with cysts on her liver caused by birth control pills. Her doctor told her that it was the hormones in the pills that make your body think it's pregnant that cause the cysts, and actually getting pregnant might make the cysts come back, or give her worse problems. I'd have to think long and hard about anyone else. And I don't think I could do it for someone I didn't know. Though I think that those women who have are complete angels.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• No. I'd get too attached to the baby, even if I knew the entire time that it wasn't going to be mine. I think people who do it for others are amazing, I just personally know that I couldn't do it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 7:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Depends on the circumstances. If I was doing it for a friend or family member, then yes. I couldn't do it for a stranger though.
    Pumelo

Answer by Pumelo at 7:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I couldn't carry a child for 9 months, go through childbirth and go home empty handed. It would break my heart so I couldn't do it. God bless anyone who could though.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• no. carrying a baby is wasn't a picnic for me nor my figure. Forget it. I wouldn't do it a third time.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• No. I wish I could, but I would get to attached. I could donate eggs though.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 7:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Probably not. I would get too attached.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sure. I am not the kind that bonds easily. I have never been able to bond with my own kids til after they were born, before that I really have no attachment, so I don't see why I couldn't.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:39 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• No. I'd get way too attached.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would do it for anybody who asked me too. I am not a strong bonder and it took me several weeks after my children were born to form that attachment. I loved being pregnant but would never do it myself again if I had to keep the child :)
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:53 PM on Oct. 13, 2010