tips/tricks for keeping binky in mouth

DS is 4 weeks old and has been falling asleep with his binky in his mouth. DD never took one so I'm not familiar with the whole process. Is there any trick for keeping it in his mouth so he doesnt wake up as soon as it falls out? Should I try and take it out of his mouth before putting him down in his crib so that he isnt technically falling asleep with it? Any suggestions would help a lot considering im going up the stairs to put the stupid thing back in his mouth a million times a night. he goes right back to sleep as soon as its in his mouth again....AHHH!

LLE672

Asked by LLE672 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We went through the same thing and I hate to say it but we just had to wait until he learned to keep it in.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 8:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• It would best to get it so that your baby isn't dependent on the paci. I had to babysit for a friend and her daughter would wake up every time her paci fell out. I did however swaddle the baby and pull the blanket up through the handle in the paci to keep it from falling too far if the baby spit it out. It is better that they can spit it out if they have to. I usually only used the blanket when I was up and moving and watching the baby.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• One other thing I thought of is this. Maybe you need a smaller paci or a different type like the nuk kind.
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 2 month old!!!! ::sigh:: Let me know if you find something that works! lol
    XdollskinX

Answer by XdollskinX at 1:40 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My LO had the same thing. I just kept putting it in. Now she only needs it to fall asleep sometimes when she's overtired. They'll let go of it when they're ready, I imagine
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 8:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Unfortunately the only suggestion I have is to have an extra binky sitting next to you at night so you can pop that one into baby's mouth without even opening your eyes.  Congrats on the new little one!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I don't think there is really any tricks, just has to learn how to keep it in the mouth which will come with time. My daughter never took one which is great because now I will never have to break her from it, did it make it harder sometimes, yes but it's worth it. COngrats!
    ZammiesMommy

Answer by ZammiesMommy at 3:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010