is 42 too young to start the change of life?

what do the simptoms really feel like? I know what some are suppose to be. I am 42 have not had my period in at least 6 months.

peace013

Asked by peace013 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Health

• There's a simple blood test your doctor can run that will tell whether or not you are in menopause.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• For me the hot flashes/night sweats started about 2-3 years ago at 37/38. It's called peri-menopause. You can take Vitamin E (400 IU) for the hot flashes. Also keep ice on hand to suck on. It helps.

My period has been screwy. It will be gone for several months and then SLAM it's back.

Look at when your mom and grandmothers started. That should give you an idea of when it starts in your family.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Each person is different. I had a friend she had 3 kids and at 28 she went throw the change. I am 45 and I think Im starting to. I also have a friend my age and she has night sweats. Im not there yet.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• "The average American woman will go through menopause at the age of 51. Most women will finish menopause between the ages of 42-48. A smaller number of women will find that their periods stop prematurely, before age 40. If menopause (hormonal changes at the end of the female reproductive years) occurs before age 40, it is said to be premature menopause."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• could be, everyone's different
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Every single woman is different with hormone issues. A good judge is when the maternal side of your family started menopause symptoms. I work for a GYN and have seen many woman be done with menopause in their late 30's/early 40's, so it could be very possible you are starting the change. See your doc for some blood tests (like FSH, estradiol, TSH) to get a better view if you are starting menopause. Good luck!!
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Heredity is a good answer to this. When did your mother have menopause? My mother was in her early 40's when she started. My doctor told me two weeks ago that I am in that stage. I'm also 42. I've been so hot lately, it doesn't matter what the temperature is outside. I hate it, but my periods have been so irregular for so long, not to mention heavy when I do get it, I'm kind of glad.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:43 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• No, its not too young. I entered peri-menopause somewhere in my late 20's...full blown meno by 38. I was VERY, and unusually young statisticly...but right on time in terms of my family history. I had surgery not long after because my parts chose to do their own thing and about killed me.

That blood test they do? Not the best indicator...its like paternaty testing, it can only tell if you absolutely are not, or if it is POSSIBLE that you are.

I had that test done and it came back "probably not"...the doc used my symptoms and my hubbys complaints to DX me LOL. The day after my hysterectomy my blood tests still came up "maybe" LOL

My little sister, now in her mid 30's, is having symptoms of not just peri menopause, but actual onset as well.

Just get a good OB/Gyn that will listen...and take your hubby/partner/SO with you for the doc to question :)
    grammamamma

Answer by grammamamma at 1:28 AM on Oct. 14, 2010