Should I go back to school?

I am a PSW and now I am thinking of furthering my career and becoming a Teacher. I don't know what to do! DH is not really backing me up on this one but I feel it would be beneficial to our family! What do you all think I should do?

Amanda_82

Asked by Amanda_82 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• Why isn't DH backing you on this? I say yes, absolutely. It can only be a good thing. What is his issue??
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• What is a PSW? Is it a social worker? If you have your Bachelor's degree you may not need to go back to school to become a teacher. Some states have an alternative route certification for those who have a degree. Most of these programs you have to find a sponsoring school to hire you and you might have to take a class or two that the program offers at night or on the weekends and then you will be observed teaching so many times. Once that process is over with then you will get your official certification. Each state's process is different though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• His issue is that I am still on maternity leave and do not know if I can go back to my PSW job as I would have to work all 3 sgifts and he works afternoons so... I would be stuck for a sitter between 10pm and 2 pm.
    He feels that if i go back to school I will not have any $ coming in to help out!
    Amanda_82

Comment by Amanda_82 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you feel its the best you should do it. But you should fine out why DH isn't backing your choice. Schooling means more time away from the family and schooling isn't free tuition, books, gas to get there. so those things need to be thought about.
    Katie239

Answer by Katie239 at 8:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• A PSW is a Personal Support Worker. It is basically like a Health Care Aide.
    Amanda_82

Comment by Amanda_82 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I am working as a CNA right now and I am actually thinking about going to school as well. I think that if I further my education it will help my family out. But on the other hand my boyfriend isn't backing it up because of the money situation. I have decided that I am going to go back to school but work 1 day a week and atleast in brings in something. I wish you luck!
    mommyof2_1989

Answer by mommyof2_1989 at 8:42 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

Thanks a bunch for that, really appreciate it!
    Amanda_82

Comment by Amanda_82 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Go to school if it makes sense to go to school, like if there is a visible job waiting in respect of the education. Don't go to school just for the sake of going to school. Just too expensive without any guarantee of employment.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 8:46 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Okay, what you need to do then is look at your budget. Your husband has a very valid concern. How are you doing financially while on maternity leave? If you are doing good, then point that out to him. If not, find a way to work part-time and go to school. Also go ahead and see if your husband would be okay with you filling out the financial aid paperwork. This will let you know if you qualify for the Pell Grant and for how much.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I say you should go for it!! Isn't there any family that could keep the baby after you go back to work? I don't see his problem, other than him thinking you won't help financially, but you should qualify for financial aid...
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010