Not sure what to do for my 6 month old...any advice??

She used to sleep all night, until about a month ago. Now she's up about 6 times a night wanting to be fed or held. I try to let her cry it out, but then I don't sleep anyway so what's the point in that? She might be teething but even with Tylenol before bed, she's still up a couple times...I'm very frustrated and need some good advice. Thanks.

queen_tut

Asked by queen_tut at 12:28 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she's teething, Tylenol doesn't really help anyway. There is no anti-inflammatory drug in it (like in Motrin) so it *might* dull the pain, but it doesn't help with the irritating swelling. Also, at 6 months old, your DD might be going through a growth spurt and/or separation anxiety on TOP of the teething. Lay off the medications... if she wants to be held and/or fed, do it. She's a baby & this is just a phase... you'll be tired for a while, but she'll be much happier if you give her a little extra attention, even at 3 am.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• If it's teething there's not much you can do. You're probably going threw the worst part of it right now. my son just did and thankfully the tooth came threw a few days ago and finally he's sleeping again. Tylenol didn't work for us either. Hang in there on your sleep training so you don't ruin what you've all ready established before the problem started. Hang in there, it will get better. My son seemed to do better with a pacifier. I swore I didn't want him to have one but when I was completely sleep deprived I kinda gave in and it helped.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:47 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Hylands Teething tablets!! you get them at walmart in the vitamin section. they are a homeopathic remedy for teething. my kids did great with them. it even helped my boys with that teething diaper rash. and if teething isn't her problem they (the tablets) won't hurt her in the slightest.

is she breastfed? another thing could be an upset tummy? maybe something your eating is giving her gas? have you tried a gas remedy?

good luck, a well rested mommy is a happier mommy :)
    3lilgems

Answer by 3lilgems at 1:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• We've done the teething tablets and I'm being very careful with what I'm eating...I just don't know what to do. We're getting ready to take her on a big camping trip with a bunch of people for a week and I don't want her to keep everyone awake....
    queen_tut

Answer by queen_tut at 2:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Mine went through that with teething for a while before any teeth poked out. Once the first ones came in he went back to sleeping through the night. Have hope!!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• the best answer that helped me and solved my problem for my daughter is the ORAL GEL for teething.. IT HELPS SOO MUCH.. it NUMBS the pain and it safe for babies to eat it and it help me through the night so try it and it comes in favors.. just put it on your finger tip and put it on the baby gums
    crzyredhair

Answer by crzyredhair at 9:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• To me it honestly sounds more like a growth spurt than teething. Or a combination of both. Look into getting some Hylands Teething Tablets, and make sure you feed her as much as she'll eat before bed. When she wakes up in the middle of the night, feed her. If she eats at that point then it's part of a growth spurt because she's way more hungry when that happens. Good luck and keep us posted!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 10:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I think it may be a combination of all 3-she's constantly putting her hands/feet/anything in her mouth to 'chew' on, she cries when she can't see me or if she goes more than 10 min. without being held (by me-nobody else can hold her really), and she just wants to eat-but not baby food...she quit eating that-she spits it all out and blows raspberries or she just doesn't open her mouth at all for the spoon! She's one tough cookie!!
    queen_tut

Answer by queen_tut at 11:35 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Try the no cry sleep solution by elizabeth pantley. It is working for our family. It also helps with naps and schedules.
    smilin_liz

Answer by smilin_liz at 10:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2008