Can you tell me about Buddhism?

I am interested in Buddhism and would like to know more about it. Any sites or books would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• These are the books that I found the most interesting and informative.

"The Four Noble Truths"
    "The Eightfold Path"
    "Awakening The Mind, Lightening the Heart" (this is Tibetan Buddhism)

***Just about any book written by the Dalia Lama is also a great read. Both from the view of learning about Buddhism, and just in general in regards to life/humanity/the world and all their goings on. :-) ***

Keep in mind when looking for information. There is more than 1 Buddhism Path: Tibetan, Zen, Mayahana...etc..
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 9:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• My husband bought a book for me called Buddha Mom, and I found it very helpful. It's from a practical, westerners point of view--meaning you can apply the things she's talking about to your own life as a householder (as opposed to someone who wants to live as a Buddhist monk). It's generally a philosophy of life/religion depending on your perspective of things. The main points as I understand them are about living in the moment/mindfulness or being present, meditation, and taking the middle path. I've only studied it a little bit, and I'm very interested in learning more as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SAUC80/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1585422177&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=18SWDK83FB9D4PG0EVBE
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:52 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Try BuddhaNet.
    http://www.buddhanet.net/

They have lots of information, and the thing i find most useful is the talks, you can put one on and listen while doing housework / relaxing. They have free e-books, and many other things to learn from.

Enjoy, and ask. Questions don't get answered by magic, lol.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Buddha.net is great. religioustolerance.org might help too. :)

http://www.religioustolerance.org/buddhism.htm
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• The general underpinnings of Buddhism are the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path. These teachings are very practical and can be applied to anyone and everyone. Some Buddhist writers I have enjoyed who write for a Western audience are Thich Nhat Hahn, Lama Surya Das, and Pema Chodron. The site www.buddhanet.net that others have pointed out is a good starting place as well. Good luck!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I like Buddhism. I am not religious but this is one of the religions that make sense to me
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 8:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010