My son had to get GLASSES

He is 5 the school nurse called me and told me to take him to the eye doctors that he scored bad 20/50 so I took him and the eye doctor looked at his eyes and did the test with the letter well he is still learning letters and knows some but they said his vision is 20/60 that scares me they gave him glasses with 3.75 per. thats bad isnt it but Im scared they read it wrong cause he did not know all the letters will they know anyways he wears his glasses and does fine with them but when I looked thru them it was like looking in a coke bottle should I take him somewhere else?? and will his eye sight get better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you don't have a vision probelm or even if you do but your eyesight is different, then its going to seem like looking thru a coke bottle. I've had glasses sinceI was 6, it stayed pretty much the same throw elementry school (I just asked my mom to be sure) and then once I hit puberty I vision got worse. I remember when I was 13 The optomistrist told my mom I might be legally blind by the time I was 20. Well I"m 21 and my prescription has been about the same since i was 17. It could get worse, like mine did or it could correct itself. Did he sit close to the tv or lean in close when he was writing or reading? did it take him longer to recognize something than it does not?
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I wouldnt worry to much. Plenty of kids that age have glasses. My son was 3 when we discovered he needed glasses. I myself have terrible eye sight and when i look through my sons glasses its like looking through a coke bottle so thats just normal. Be glad they relized early in his school years he needed glasses it will help in the long run. Now if your worried they got his prescription wrong i suggest looking around for a eye doctor who speclizes in children. they have other tests they can do besides using letters.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I've been in glasses since I was 4. My vision got worse through grade school. In high school though all the sudden my vision got terrifically better. At least in one eye. The other eye is permanently damge and am legally blind in it. (Not related to poor care). After I turned 24 or so it began to get worse again. I was in bifocals at 34. My husband, and both natural born sons wear/wore glasses. At 7 my youngest sons eyes were so bad he was in a +9.25 and a +11.0 lens. Something happened when he turned about 18..all the sudden he couldn't see out his glasses anymore. I took him in and his eyesight had improved..hughly improved. It has continued to do so. Now he is 22 and wears no glasses at all. The Opthamalogist told me this was not unusual and he would probably regress the other way over time..but enjoy it for now.
    As long as your son sees fine thru the glasses..let it be. Have his eyes checked once a yr now.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• As far as the test go...when they tested my son the first time they used pictures..like a csake, a jeep a star..etc.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I would take him to another eye doctor. When my kids get their eye's checked, they put eye drops in their eyes that dialate them, and the doctor looks at their eyes through different lenses, and other tests and what not. They're also supposed to have a screen with pictures on it, not just letter's or numbers. I would get a second opinion.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 3:24 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Both of mine wear glasses...my oldest is 7, and they used letters for him, and told him before they started if he didn't know what the letter was to say so instead of saying he couldn't read it. My youngest is 5, was 4 when he got glasses. They used a chart that had a bunch of "E" facing different directions. Dr. told him it was a table, and to tell him which way the legs of the table pointed on each one.
    If you think they were wrong in the prescription or in the diagnosis that he needs glasses, you can take him to another dr. for a second opinion. However, unless the dr. struck you as a total idiot, I'm sure he took into consideration that your son is only 5 and may not have known all his letters. They also look for things like squinting, moving his head forward or back, stuff like that, not just that he can tell them what the letter is.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• No, eye sight does not get better. If he needs glasses, then he needs glasses. He will not do well in school or sports without them. When he is fully grown (mid-20's), he can consider corrective surgery. Until then he will need glasses or contacts. He shouldn't get contacts until he is responsible enough to care for them - sometime after 10 or so.

Should you get a second opinion? It can't hurt. If he doesn't know all he letters yet, they do make a chart with pictures instead... as several of the other moms said. The important thing is that he have glasses that are the correct strength.

Don't be scared. It's just glasses. Lots of people wear them. Kids, adults, nerds, sports stars. Lots of people.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Both my kids have been wearing glasses sence they were 5 yrs old and they both are crossed eyed they said it was suppose to correct it and their eyes will get better in due time i have been wearing glasses sence i was 10 yrs old and my eye sight has gotten worse i am almost blind so it depends on the child
    heidicoone

Answer by heidicoone at 6:20 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• If you are concerned he was misdiagnosed via letter recognition issues ask the Doc to recheck using the pre school chart. A chart with pictures instead of letters. If it turns out he does indeed need glasses don't fret he will be fine I've been in them my whole life with no ill affects. He can always get contacts at a later time if he wishes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have been wearing glasses since I was 2 and am very far sighted. My son started at the eye doctor when he was 4 and we were told he had the same type eye sight as me. He got glasses then and he doesn't mind them. This year (4 years later) the eye doctor (who is our cousin) said that he needs sports goggles. His vision has gotten worse over the past 4 years that instead of just wearing them for school, he now needs them for sports too. My brother's vision got better from childhood to adult hood - mine got worse as I have gotten older. MY daughter (who is 4) is fine so far but this year was the first time they asked her to recognize letters but he wasn't looking for the letter recognition - he was looking more for shape and consistency - i.e. the letter E - did she always say B or did she say B sometimes and D other times and E other times. If she was consistent, then no worry because she was seeing it the same every time.
    Randi2ja

Answer by Randi2ja at 9:01 PM on Oct. 27, 2008