Say something or not? If so, to who?

This morning hubby, our daughter and I went to breakfast at Denny’s. We were had just been seated when our waitress came over the order for the booth right behind us. From the kitchen area another waitress yells over, "I've already got them." Our waitress who is obviously a little flustered steps over to our booth and takes our drink order. She later brings the food to the other booth (we were the only two booths on this side of the restaurant) and refills their drinks. The other waitress comes around and dumps an astray on a clean table, takes the ashtray and then gets our waitress to clean it. After that the other waitress (not ours) refills our coffee and it smells like stale ashtray, like she dumped some in the pot or something - this is the ONLY time she refills our drinks. She brings a ticket to the other table (even though she did not take care of them) and takes the tip they leave, but not the dishes. - cont-

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 8:57 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would call and request to speak to a manger or to get a number of someone higher up to talk to. It's still bothering you how the one waitress was treated (it would me too) so unless someone speaks up, nothing will be done. It reminds of a time I was in a shoe store and a lady was trying on shoes. She started to walk into the back room and an employee (a young girl) simply said, "We don't allow customers back there." The lady went off about how rude the girl was and how she was reporting her to the manager. The manager guy came back to the girl and started to rip this poor girl up one side and down the other. I finally stepped in and told him I saw the whole thing and the customer was in the wrong here. He apologized to the girl and I hope I ended up saving her her job cuz I spoke up when something wasn't right. It's not always the popular thing to do, but sometimes the right thing isn't...use your best judgement! :)
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would call during the day and ask when a manager would be available or ask them to have the manager give you a call.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:02 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would say something to the manager. That's pretty messed up, and she may not have the nerve to talk to her boss about it, and there's no guarantee that the cashier said anything.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 9:01 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I know I had my share of crappy jobs. And if someone would have called a manager and ratted out the nasty jerk I worked with, it would have made me smile.

Call.

You just might help that waitress make it to the next pay check that she really needs.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I would speak to the manager one way or another.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 9:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If you feel that strongly about the situation, your husband could find out when a manager is on duty. Then, call and explain what happened. It's not right for any type of harassment in the workplace.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 9:07 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Later we heard her heckle our waitress about not being able to go home. She followed her around and picked at her the whole time we were there. Hubby went to the register to pay and our daughter and I went to the car. He said while he was waiting to pay the other waitress reached over and pinched our waitress and when she said something the other one acted like she had done nothing. When he got to the register the other waitress tried to claim our table and take the tip, but he gave it to the right one. He asked for a manager to talk to but one was not on duty so he told a brief version of the story to the cashier. I really feel badly for our waitress, but I don’t know what to do. Not sure that it matters, but the one doing all of the heckling was not a teen, but a woman who was at least in her 50s. I would guess our waitress to have been in her 40s. Our waitress was great, even with all she was putting up with.
    scout_mom

Comment by scout_mom (original poster) at 8:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Now? No, not at the restaurant level. That should have been handled when it happened, and they pretty much showed that it didn't matter to them. At this point? I'd phone the restaurant and get contact information for the district or regional manager.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Denny's. self explanatory.
    Anonymous

• I agree about a district manager because that is almost abuse of some sort in the workplace. I'd call during the day and get the manager and ask him/her for the higher manager.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:06 PM on Oct. 13, 2010