Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do you report a neighbor for blight?

Our neighbor across the street has just piles and piles of junk in the front of their house, all across the driveway, the lawn, everywhere. It's visible from the street (it's just 10 feet from the street, it's not a big property) and I know there are critters living in it. How can we report this to the city for blight?


Asked by TwoBrownDogs at 9:15 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 15 (2,099 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • I had to do this once, and I just called my county's code enforcement number. It was listed right in the phone book (yes, this was years ago!) Just go to your city or county's website and look for code enforcement. If your neighbors are violating any ordinances, they will send someone out to inspect the property.

    Answer by vicesix at 8:25 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • I used to call building code violations in for my job. Awfully satisfying to see a blighted place cleaned up and the slack landlord pay the fine. Though, blight is all in the eye of the inspector.

    All the ladies are right, call your city main number or township or village. They'll make sure you get to the right spot.

    Answer by donnareedonLSD at 6:12 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • Call the city hall and find out who to speak with, they will direct you.

    Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Never heard of blight but I would contact your local police department and see what they say. Don't call 911 obviously, look up the number for the police department in your town and they should be able to help you file a complaint. They will probably send someone out to examine the property and see if there's a case. If so, the neighbors will be asked to clean up the yard within a certain amount of time.

    I have neighbors like this as well so I know how you feel, it sucks!

    Answer by jacksmom3707 at 9:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Your City Hall.... or your local Police dept.... at either place they will know where to direct
    you or help you...

    Answer by gmasboy at 9:30 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Your city probably has a code enforcement officer. Call the police department and ask to speak to them to report it. We have a house like this right across the street, but because it is in foreclosure and all of the junk was left, there is no one to clean it up. I can only imagine what is living over there. Yuck!


    Answer by scout_mom at 9:43 PM on Oct. 13, 2010