Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

In case of a divorce has my husband pay alamony for me and how much?

We got married 9 years ago. We don't have children together. I am from Germany and I am a permanent resident. I don't work because where I live one of the requirements to get a job is to speak spanish which I can't. I applied many times for a job. What it actuelly means is that I depentend on my husband.


Asked by LonleySoul at 9:18 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Relationships

Level 6 (118 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • regardless of your nationality this would have to be determent by court....the property is usually divided in half and alimony in your case might be only temporarily until you are financially on your feed. the amount depends on the income of your husband and the length can go from a few months to 1/3 of the time of your marriage. but i'm not a lawyer.
    if i were you i would try to get a job further away from were you are right now...any socially accepted job that is ....putting money away in a diff. account .....preparing for that moment, because the ways things sound to me you are very much thinking about divorce.
    don't count on are not a medical case nor do you have a houseful of children. be independent and get cracking.

    Answer by Ladyblue38 at 12:27 PM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • Umm, there are very few companies that make it mandatory for anyone to be bilingual. It helps, but they can't discriminate against a person for not knowing it. It's illegal. Yes, you need to get one. It's not up to him to support your lifestyle after you divorced. I can understand child support, but I vehemently oppose alimony.

    Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • You'll be expected to get a job. It isn't his responsibility to support you after a divorce.

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • maybe till you can get on your feet. how much would depend on what he makes.

    but i would not count on it.

    personally i wouldn't want my ex paying crap for me.

    Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 9:22 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Because of your situation, your husband may be required to pay you alimony. The amount would depend on how much he makes and if you have a good lawyer. However, I would start putting in applications like crazy. Apply wherever you can and since you don't have family or a child, consider moving to another area where there are more job possibilities.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 9:24 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • I'm not sure about how it would work since you are out of country.

    However. Alimony usually depends on a few different factors: the state that the divorce is filed in, if there is a pre-nup or post-nup agreement, lenght of marriage, division of assets..etc..

    Answer by pixie_trix at 9:27 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • I want a job. When we applied for my green card it said that he is financially responsible for me. I also talked to a lawyer and he told me until I am financilly stabilize he has to pay alamony.

    Comment by LonleySoul (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • My mom got $2000/month for the first year after her and my dad split(yes dad could afford that fine). OF COURSE they were married 25 years, and she stayed home raising 3 children. He never wanted her to work.


    Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • It depends on what state you are in. In PA, they do not have alimony. That have something call APL, which is alimony pending litagation. Which means spousal support gets paid only until the divorce is final and you get some sort of settlement.

    Answer by layh41407 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 13, 2010