Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Would you move in this situation?

It looks like my husband and I will be getting a divorce. He basically doesn't want to be a full time dad anymore. In my area, there are not many jobs that pay more than minimum wage, and I am only working part time now as it is. I am thinking about moving 50-60 miles south of where we are at now. It is a small town with good schools but it close to lots of employment in a bigger city. I have put in a few applications and I already heard back from a few. I have been looking at apartments and I have such a cute one, not to far from my best friend. The problem I am having is, my son just started Kindergarten this year. I really don't want to uproot him. He already has problems as it is. I really don't know what to do. Any advice? Have you been in similar situation? What did you do?


Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I have never been in that situation but if you need to move to get a job and suitable apartment then you need to move. I would try to minimize the rest of his stress although honestly with moving and a divorce things are going to be tough for him. But, I would do it and make things as stable as possible and then stay where you are for as long as you can.

    Answer by emilex at 9:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • I would go ahead and move. It sounds like you have a found a great place for a fresh start. Your son will make new friends quickly. Good luck!

    Answer by scout_mom at 9:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • If that is your best option for securing a job and a place to live with your child, MOVE. He just started K. He'll meet new friends at his new school and adjust fine I am sure. It's still early in the school year.


    Answer by KairisMama at 9:34 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Just move during the holiday break in December.  Since he just started Kindergarten it’s not like he'll miss a lot.  Children are reliant and he’ll be just fine if the transition is done smoothly.  GL   


    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • You should move, could be a change will be good for him and it's not like he's been in K for long. Do what puts food on the table and pays the rent.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • i think it would be better to move now than when he is older and has "real friends"

    I think he would be happier if you are happy... rather than have you work your butt off just to struggle when there is an obvious better choice for the both of you !

    Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 10:04 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • Children are reliant and

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • This is a decision you need to take up with the courts as well.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

  • If you and your husband have been going through a divorce, that is probably what is affecting your son. Maybe a move and new friends would do wonders for him. But, you need to do what you need to do in order to survive in this world. Since you are moving closer to a best friend, that would be good for you. At least you can move on with your life, and your son can too. It could make a world of difference for the both of you.

    Answer by amessageofhope at 12:27 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

  • Better to move now and be financial secure then not move and live in poverty.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 14, 2010