How can i convince my family that bulimia is something that cannot go away overnight??

I have been suffering from this eating disorder for about 8years, i started seeing a therapist a few months ago because of depression& just recently told her about my disorder, she was shocked that i didnt mention this to her before of course now she is trying to help me with it, now i tell my family that she is going to help me get through this& right away my sister starts to get after me telling me that this is just a mind thing& that i need to stop, it just makes me want to cry, ive had this for 8 years almost a damn decade she cant understand the way i see myself, i feel fat, i take pictures of my body & cry because i feel like if i have the ugliest body, i overeat like hell& i cant stop bingeing, all she wants to do is yell at me& tells me if i love my kids i will stop,how can i make her understand that my disorder is an adiction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Health

• Can you bring her with you to a therapy session so that your therapist can explain to her what you are up against with the bulimia? Maybe hearing an explanation from a professional about the seriousness of the problem, as well as the strategies the therapist has for treatment, would help your sister and family understand better what you are going through and what they can realistically expect while you are dealing with it. Clearly it isn't as easy as "mind over matter" but it may take a professional to convince them of that. Good luck. I am sure it is very important not to let the problems in this relationship affect your recovery and hopefully your family wants to be part of the solution.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:41 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Oh honey. I know this is hard. I was anorexic for over 13 years and it was the hardest 13 years of my life! I can remember being around my friends who knew about my problem and being so mad at me because I was so "miserable." They always said,"just stop doing it, just stop." No one understands that you can't just stop doing it. It's an addiction and it cant and won't go away overnight. My advice for you is to take it one day at a time and worry about YOU and getting YOU better. It's sad that support is limited with these kinds of disorders, but some people just can't get it. I wish you the best of luck and you will be in my prayers.
    Mom2Many1999

Answer by Mom2Many1999 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Sounds like your sister needs to be educated on the disorder. Maybe get her to go with you to a therapy session. The therapist can fill her in about the disorder and how it works. I am so sorry that you are going through this. I dealt with bulimia in high school. No one ever knew I had it and I was lucky enough to overcome it by myself. I dealt with it for an entire year, so my issue with it wasn't quite as serious as yours. I really hope you overcome this and your sister starts being more supportive.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:07 AM on Oct. 14, 2010