I'm tired and feel like a failure

I can't get my toddler to sleep on her own (I never have been able to) I've tried letting her cry it out for 2 weeks .... following all of the rules. She has the same routine she's had for the last 6-9months. I'm exhausted, she won't fall to sleep on her own at night, she needs to be rocked and if you don't lay her down quite right shes's awake again. Then she wakes up around 12am-1am and won't go back to bed without A LOT of rocking again and 20% of the time she'll go back to bed. Lately I've been giving in and allowing her to sleep with me (I know BAD IDEA). But I'm tired really really tired and I don't know what to do ... I just can't get it right! Any help?

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have an 18-month old daughter who slept in my bed until she was at least a year old. I started noticing that she woke up quite a bit and seemed disturbed by my presence. So, I put her in her own bed, in her own room, and she has slept great ever since! Actually, it took almost a month for her to get used to being on her own, but she sleeps all night now. What a relief!!! I know how it feels to be so rundown and tired. I also agree that a bedtime routine helps. I read to my daughter every night and turn the lights down. When I put her in her crib now, she just grabs her blanket and rolls over. Hang in there..I swear I thought I was the only mom who 1) let their baby sleep with them and 2) felt exhausted ALL the time. It gets better.....I PROMISE!!!
    tracy3420

Answer by tracy3420 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• have to make bedtime a beautiful routine. get out there and buy with her help special pj's or gown. THEN play soft music at bedtime. THEN pick out a special nightlight--pitch dark is NO good for toddlers or tots. a cool or cute one. THEN ALways always always i cant stress enuff... READ t oher EVERY night. I did all these things and Neither of my children (have a seven yr old and a seven month old) have ever had these challenges. ALSO the reading is good she has the power to pick from a couple stories YOU pick, and your voice singsongs her to sleep/ also---warm milk (lightly warmed in a small pan or pot) emits a sleepy enzyme which my mother a nurse always had me and my sister drink a bit before some bedtimes. MAKE this routine THE SAME, including a warm relaxing bath EVERY nite... and you will have success! YOU are incontrol. and you aslo have to TELL her: children go to sleep in the world FIRST and adults stay up to do stuff.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:56 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I had that problem with a couple of my kids and I allowed them to sleep in my room on the floor next to my bed. With one, I put a toddler bed next to my side. We all slept better, because like you I was so tired. My little ones that slept in my room are 20 and 12, and haven't slept in my room for many many years..lol. They all learn to sleep alone. Actually my 20 year old just got married, time sure flies. Don't worry about the rules, just go with what works for you. Every child is different, and some do just fine in their rooms. I know a couple of mine never even hinted about sleeping in my room. Don't stress it, just ask yourself if it will matter in 10 years. haha. People used to tell me that when mine were young.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• Our youngest son doesn't like to be alone so we just moved his toddler bed into our room. Maybe she just doesn't like to be alone?
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 9:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• We let our son sleep in his sleeping bag on our floor for months. Everybody got the sleep they needed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• I agree with the bedtime routine that silverelf said...and keep it consistent. My only other suggestion would be maybe to use a sound machine or soft music for her to sleep to? Once we put a sound machine in DS's room, it was a world of difference. Makes it less scary for him. And definitely a nightlight & stories EVERY night! He loves the bedtime routine!
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 11:09 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• My son ( 19months) slept in our bedroom until he was 13 months old. DO NOT FEEL BAD FOR IT! If it works it works. She will eventually move to her own room. We made the transition by redo-ing his room and making a big deal about his big boy bed and his big boy room. A exhausted mother is a cranky mother so do what works best for you and your family. Could She be cold? Maybe that is why she wants to sleep with you or be close to you? Extra warmth?
    mommytolucasray

Answer by mommytolucasray at 2:01 PM on Oct. 14, 2010