What would be a good price ( to charge a family member)

Today i started watching my cousin's 2 little boys ( 1 and 2 years old) ... I watched them before ( 5 days a week, 6:45am - 4pm, for $25/day) .... I stopped watching them on a regular basis because it just became really stressful ( I basically had 3 little boys going through the terrible 2's, and back then I was basically just using that money for "extras") .

My cousin works from 3 - 11 and his wife works from morning until 5 ( and sometimes 8, like tonight), they make good money but I know she is working over becuase they are having money troubles, so i feel bad for charging anything ( since they are family ) but now since my husband lost his job we REALLY need the money.

So I am only watching them 3 days a week ( when she works) from 10am - 5 and sometimes 8 pm ... what would be a fair price ... ( I was thinking $15 )

2lilbumblebees

Asked by 2lilbumblebees at 9:54 PM on Oct. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would stick with the $25 a day, that's still a steal for 2 babies/toddler compared to what they would have to spending.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• That seems fair to me.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:55 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• well I know up until they got married a few weeks ago, she was paying like $700/month in daycare, and she was getting a single mothers discount .. but now that they got married they have combined money... but they are also now paying more for insurance, and doing some home repairs ( meaning not enough money)

I actually would really like to get 20-25 but especially where we live I think that is alot... but with 10 or 15 - that is only 30-45 a week
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• ** I meant now since they have "combined money" she had to take them out of daycare because it went up to over $900 ...
    2lilbumblebees

Comment by 2lilbumblebees (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• $3 per hour, minimum. Plus extra for food.
    Anonymous

• One of my friends once had a "revelation" when visualizing the phrase "bending over backwards" - it puts you in a very precarious position. They need to pay childcare expenses and with you they know they can trust you. You need the money just as much as they need daycare - I would charge the going rate for home care with maybe a minor discount - even if you charge $25 that is waaaaaay less than what they were paying and that sounds really low. I personally don't make myself stressed out and crazy for anyone or for any amount of money. My financial situation and sanity is at least as important as anyone else's....
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• If she was able to pay $700 a month before they got married, I don't think they should have a problem with $25/per day. They are still getting a great deal!!! It's saving them a ton of money to put towards their higher insurance and home repairs.
    travzmom

Answer by travzmom at 10:38 PM on Oct. 13, 2010

• I charge my best friend $15/day for one 2 year old. I would charge at LEAST 25-30 for two, probably more... $15/day just isn't enough... it basically covers food for her daughter, I do it out of charity because she's a (true) single mom.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:31 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• Even though they are family she can probably afford to pay you more than 25 a day. She is getting a good deal with that rate but if it starts to be too much of a strain then let her know you need a set schedule. When I owned a family daycare I had to set up some rules mainly for the children's parents to follow. One of the rules stated they needed to pick their children up by the time I closed or I had to charge them a fee the next day before they dropped their child off for the day. I hated to do that because I loved taking care of little ones but I had to do something because I had problems getting paid as well as problems with the children being picked up in a timely manner. All in all, it is good job but you have to make sure you are not taken advantage of or you will burn out.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2010

• This--I would stick with the $25 a day, that's still a steal for 2 babies/toddler compared to what they would have to spending.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:42 AM on Oct. 14, 2010